Remove Angel Groups Remove Community Remove Software Engineering Remove Venture Capital
article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Flexible VCs With Structures Between Equity and Revenue-Based Investing

David Teten

(co-written with Jamie Finney, Founding Partner at Greater Colorado Venture Fund. His work on VC and small communities can be found at greatercolorado.vc/blog. V: Should you raise venture capital from a traditional equity VC or a Revenue-Based Investing VC? II: Who are the major Revenue-Based Investing VCs?

Equity 78
article thumbnail

How Venture Capitalists and Government Can Promote Entrepreneurship

David Teten

By contrast, as a venture capitalist, I can report that almost all of our portfolio companies are desperate to hire talented software engineers, and eager to hire in a range of other roles. I am now talking with some affinity groups in these domains about co-organizing such pitch nights under the umbrella of HBS Angels.