article thumbnail

Meta’s CTO Andrew Bosworth Says Video Games Were What Hooked Him On Tech

Hunter Walker

The combo convinced me that software was for creativity and community — 100% impacted the rest of my life. AB : With only one exception (visiting my aunt and uncle in Hawaii) every vacation we took as a family was to pile into the car and get to the great outdoors. Do you have any “AHA!”

Video 104
article thumbnail

30 Entrepreneurs Explain Their Major Accomplishments In 2021

Hearpreneur

My team dedicated their time to creating a sense of community. Our membership network of thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs across hundreds of local chapters nationwide feel like they belong to an entire community now. What I didn't expect was the ripple effect it would have on the rest of my team.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

What is a Social Enterprise?

Up and Running

it is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit, but because of its dedication to sustainability, it is now working with local communities to form separate stove manufacturing factories in their countries. What about the rest of us? Here in the U.S. InStove contributes both the technology for efficient stoves, and the means to create sustainable jobs.

article thumbnail

15 Entrepreneurs Explain How They Came Up With Their Business Name

Hearpreneur

I started my company to increase the awareness about marketing within the small business community (what it is, what it is not, how to know you’re doing it right, etc) as I come across many that confuse marketing with PR or sales and are frustrated when their marketing programs don’t create the sales boost they expect.

Naming 48
article thumbnail

Indivisible: How A 23-Page Google Doc Gave Birth To A National Progressive Movement

Hunter Walker

They are not “astroturf” or “paid protesters” — they are real constituents, leading real resistance efforts in their communities. We also provide resources to help groups sustain their activism and make a difference in their communities — like how to organize a group or how to get local media to cover their event.

San Diego 131
article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #11: Jeremy Howard on the power of masks, health policy, and data science in medicine

Startup Lessons Learned

Before that I was an equal partner in Kaggle, which is a popular data science competition community. So by the time I got to McKinsey, they thought I was some magician, which is good because the rest of them used interviews and expertise and knowledge, which I didn't have any of those things. We should all wear them in public."

article thumbnail

What Is a Benefit Corporation?

Up and Running

Now, you can create a benefit corporation in: Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington D.C., with many more states in the pending legislation phase.