article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Some Thoughts on Branding Startups and Communities

Both Sides of the Table

We threw a Launchpad LA dinner to bring the community together as we tend to do 6-10 times a year. Brad wrote up his answer here – you should read it because it’s very instructive for how I believe communities ought to think about naming conventions. Think about venture capital. That seems very Brad to me.

Community 304
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Why Has LA Suddenly Gotten So Much Attention from VCs and Entrepreneurs?

Both Sides of the Table

Given how efficient markets are when a large market like LA starts to blossom it attracts capital pretty quickly. billion in venture capital to LA’s technology startups and 2014 will shatter that figure. But the “monetization heart of the Internet” doesn’t stop at Overture, Applied Semantics and MySpace.

article thumbnail

Touching the Hot Stove – Experiential versus Theoretical Learning.

Steve Blank

Customer Development/Lean Startups In hindsight startups and the venture capital community left out the most important first step any startup ought to be doing – hypothesis testing in front of customers- from day one. Since I wasn’t an engineer, my contribution was around the team-building and fund raising. I was an idiot.

article thumbnail

A Visitors Guide to Silicon Valley

Steve Blank

There are no tours of companies or venture capital firms. From Santa Clara to South San Francisco it’s 45 miles of one bedroom community after another. Startups and innovation have exploded here because of the rise of venture capital. Filed under: Family/Career , Technology , Venture Capital.

article thumbnail

Want to Start a Technology Company in LA?

Both Sides of the Table

Funding is different – In Silicon Valley you have mega venture capital funds and many of them. LA produced Applied Semantics that created AdSense and was bought by Google. The community has matured – The LA / Southern California market has many people who are now on their second and third companies.

article thumbnail

The Living Company

Growthink Blog

As de Geus’ so eloquently writes: The idea of a living company isn''t just a semantic or academic issue. The type leadership whose goal is not “an exit,” but rather a contribution - to shareholders, to employees, to customers, to community. Business Planning Entrepreneurship Financing Investing Jay Turo Management Venture Capital'