Remove Angel Groups Remove Community Remove Cost Remove Government
article thumbnail

How Venture Capitalists and Government Can Promote Entrepreneurship

David Teten

I’ve recently met with several universities, nonprofits, and government employees who’ve all asked the same question: how can we promote entrepreneurship? The first and primary role of a government is to provide basic public goods competently. To the extent that the government fails to do that, it will retard job creation.

article thumbnail

ESG in Venture Capital: Interview with Blue Future Partners (VC Fund of Funds)

David Teten

One of the impact initiatives I’m proudest of is founding Harvard Business School Alumni Angels of New York , a nonprofit and now the East Coast’s largest angel group. When we launched in 2010, I saw a white space: a burgeoning NY tech ecosystem, but only one angel group regularly writing checks.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How Universities Can Help Students and Alumni Work in the Tech Industry

David Teten

Along with some friends from Yale (my alma mater), I recently brainstormed some ideas to accelerate a university’s campus tech community. Marketing of tech community : Yale Tech News , Yale Entrepreneurship Magazine. Those unique assets are sometimes leverageable into a resource for strengthening the university’s tech community.

article thumbnail

The Investors Guide to SXSW 2019

Austin Startup

Grab a group of friends and tour the latest and greatest of Austin’s startup community. We don’t know of any other location in DC or elsewhere in the country where multiple government innovation groups are colocated together with startups to create their own center of gravity. The SXSW Startup Crawl!

article thumbnail

Startups: It’s not Thelma & Louise

Austin Startup

Last Friday, June 21st I sent the following message out to our community of users, colleagues, friends and supporters. Or, I’d recommend consumer-facing founders start networking with the Angel groups in Silicon Valley immediately. I recruited a top-flight engineer and serial entrepreneur to build our MVP, on equity?—?and

article thumbnail

The Basics of Small Business Loans [WEBINAR]

Up and Running

The cost: it’s much more profitable for traditional lenders to do a two million dollar loan, or a three million dollar loan than doing a $150,000 loan or $100,000 loan. It’s a really great way to get funded from an angel perspective, and also get introductions to that angel group. Hopefully that does. Scott: Okay.