Remove Angel Groups Remove Community Remove Entrepreneur Remove Silicon Valley
article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
article thumbnail

How to Raise Startup Funding from Unlikely Angel Investors

Up and Running

Angel investors come from a variety of ages, backgrounds, and professions. I’m not your average angel. I’m not active in an angel group. I don’t have an MBA and I don’t live in Silicon Valley. I’m not your average angel. Entrepreneurs need to find a way to get traction (sales) without funding.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Brad Feld Drops Knowledge. Here’s What He Said …

Both Sides of the Table

There was a lot of consumer internet activity again…resurgence of things, but it was still mysterious, venture capital was still kind of closed, 1st time entrepreneurs had a lot of questions that were unanswered, and there was still some sort of hand waiving around all the financing stuff and so we took it on….”. was starting.

article thumbnail

The Investors Guide to SXSW 2019

Austin Startup

It’s stocked with free food, drinks and wifi but the real reason you want to be there is because we’ve curated all of the top entrepreneurs, investors, and innovators at SXSW and invited them to stop by. Grab a group of friends and tour the latest and greatest of Austin’s startup community. or maybe just #GrumpyCat.

article thumbnail

One Hand Clapping – Entrepreneurship In Ann Arbor, Michigan

Steve Blank

Business School, met with the entrepreneurship center in the Business School , Entrepreneurs ; presented to MPowered the University of Michigan student Entrepreneurship Organization, the Ann Arbor New Tech Meetup and A2Geeks , the regional startup network (talk here.). A Lack of a Startup Culture in the Community.

Michigan 307
article thumbnail

Looking for Funds in All the Right Places

Austin Startup

Looking for Funds in All the Right Places: The Definitive Guide to Austin Capital By David Altounian and Stephen Straus OVERVIEW For entrepreneurs: We’ve compiled a definitive list of sources of capital in Austin to help focus your fundraising efforts. We would also welcome seeing more high risk, high reward investing by the firms in Austin.

article thumbnail

7 Strategies To Reduce The Cost Of Finding Investors

Startup Professionals Musings

Most new entrepreneurs assume that great investors will find their startups based on the compelling solution the founders have created. As an angel investor, I believe this approach is a waste of time, since no honest investor is likely to seriously consider a request for money from a stranger. There are just too many scams.

Cost 120