Remove Cofounder Remove Community Remove Later Stage Remove Silicon Valley
article thumbnail

Why I Invested in Gogii (textPlus) – My First Ever Later Stage Deal

Both Sides of the Table

Silicon Valley (and Alley) has been super excited about the new category of “group text messaging&# and for valid reasons. Gogii came in my office in 2009 with three of the most talented founders I had seen. Scott Lahman , Zack Norman & Austin Murray were the three co-founders of JAMDAT, the most successful mobile 1.0

article thumbnail

Some Thoughts on Branding Startups and Communities

Both Sides of the Table

We threw a Launchpad LA dinner to bring the community together as we tend to do 6-10 times a year. Somebody asked the question, “What do you think about the term ‘Silicon Beach? I hate Silicon Whatever. If anything using the word “Silicon” seems a bit derivative to NorCal. LA should be LA.”

Community 304
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How to Get Superior Returns in Venture Capital

David Teten

Most of the other VC firms with a history of picking unicorns have significantly benefited from being based in Silicon Valley, having much larger investment teams, and having multi-decade Tier-1 reputations, which has led to them seeing most of the best deals in the market. – Incubating companies. – Technology stack.

article thumbnail

How to Get Superior Returns in Venture Capital

David Teten

Most of the other VC firms with a history of picking unicorns have significantly benefited from being based in Silicon Valley, having much larger investment teams, and having multi-decade Tier-1 reputations, which has led to them seeing most of the best deals in the market. – Incubating companies. – Technology stack.

article thumbnail

Looking for Funds in All the Right Places

Austin Startup

For investors outside of Austin and LPs: Austin is a a vibrant startup market and this list of capital sources can help you identify firms to co-invest with and funds to invest in. Entrepreneurs with early stage companies typically look for local funding before going out of region to pursue other funding sources.

article thumbnail

Texas Startup Manifesto 2.0

Austin Startup

It seems like every day there is a new headline about an exceptional startup founder, investor, or corporate headquarters moving to Texas. Our community colleges are excellent as well, including the Alamo Colleges, Austin Community College, the Dallas College and the Lone Star Community College. Joe Lonsdale. Jim Breyer.

Texas 90
article thumbnail

On Supercities, Economic Growth, and Income Inequality in a Post-COVID World

Ben's Blog

Before we talk about how this might work, it’s helpful to take a look back at a case study of what gave rise to Silicon Valley as an innovation cluster and the San Francisco Bay Area as a modern supercity. In the case of Silicon Valley, it was a combination of: Universities like Stanford. Federal government.