article thumbnail

How to raise money for your startup from VCs and investors in Asia

The Next Web

Thomas Clayton has started and run numerous high-tech startups in Silicon Valley. The process of raising money in Asia is very different from raising money in Silicon Valley and, frankly, it’s not nearly as easy. As I touched on before, China and India have the most mature VC communities.

Asia 132
article thumbnail

Is VC Funding the Real Unicorn in Silicon Valley?

Up and Running

Historically, while unicorn startups rightfully garner a lot of media attention and interest throughout the venture capital (VC) community, smart investors have spread their money around among a large number of startups, both large and small. So, no: VC funding isn’t such a rare thing in Silicon Valley or anywhere else.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Why I Invested in Gogii (textPlus) – My First Ever Later Stage Deal

Both Sides of the Table

Silicon Valley (and Alley) has been super excited about the new category of “group text messaging&# and for valid reasons. It was just a hobby that was inspired by Brad Feld & how much he gave back to the community (and me as an entrepreneur) and Fred Wilson who’s blog became a daily staple.

article thumbnail

Some Thoughts on Branding Startups and Communities

Both Sides of the Table

We threw a Launchpad LA dinner to bring the community together as we tend to do 6-10 times a year. Somebody asked the question, “What do you think about the term ‘Silicon Beach? I hate Silicon Whatever. If anything using the word “Silicon” seems a bit derivative to NorCal. LA should be LA.”

Community 304
article thumbnail

How to Work with Lawyers at a Startup

Both Sides of the Table

Right sized : I tried to work with one of the best known firms in Silicon Valley. In the initial stages I found that I struggled to get their attention because they also represented all of the biggest titans in town. He’s totally tapped into the startup communities in Silicon Valley and a bit in LA.

article thumbnail

Does Your VC have an Investment Thesis, or a Hypothesis?

David Teten

J-Angels “is a community and a VC fund of top American investors (Jewish-American & Israeli-born) in Silicon Valley and San Francisco.”. Alexander Jarvis , startup mentor, said, “Even at a later stage, it’s better to be talked about something than nothing at all.

article thumbnail

Startups: It’s not Thelma & Louise

Austin Startup

Last Friday, June 21st I sent the following message out to our community of users, colleagues, friends and supporters. Our venture was selected for competitive accelerator spots & recognition from media and mentors from Austin, Chicago and Silicon Valley to work on this problem and capture the value its solution provided.