article thumbnail

Leadership is More Than a Memo

Steve Blank

I just read Brotopia: Breaking Up the Boys’ Club of Silicon Valley. While Silicon Valley has grown to have global influence, in many ways the cultural leadership from the venture community has dramatically shrunk in the last decade. Yes, in the dim past of Silicon Valley the execs really wore suits.).

article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Why The Government is Isn’t a Bigger Version of a Startup

Steve Blank

academia was engaged in weapon systems research for the Defense Department and intelligence community. Indeed, Silicon Valley was born as a center for weapon systems development and its software and silicon helped end the Cold War. There was a time when much of U.S.

article thumbnail

Ardent War Story 5: The Best Marketers Are Engineers

Steve Blank

Building an Advisory Board In my travels outside the building I kept my eyes out for articulate and visionary scientists and engineers who had expertise we lacked, and were willing to help in an advisory capacity. I chose to hire engineers from within each of our target markets and set up “Steve’s one month MBA course for engineers.”

Engineer 205
article thumbnail

How Sin-Mei Tsai, Shippo’s VP of Engineering, Defines Code Quality

Version One Ventures

Six weeks ago, we kicked off a new series where we profile an awesome operator in our network to learn about his/her work and contributions to his/her organization and community at large. This time, I am very excited to introduce Sin-Mei Tsai , VP of Engineering at Shippo , a Version One portfolio company. Functional quality.

article thumbnail

Rare event in Palo Alto today: fireside chat with Lifograph and Microsoft

The Startup Magazine

Mendlen flew into Silicon Valley from Seattle specifically for this event to chat with the “Wiki of People” CEO. Lifograph CEO Dea Wilson is a serial entrepreneur and Managing Director at the Silicon Valley Incubator. The Wiki of People is a free people search engine with 500K profiles and 1.2M

article thumbnail

Scaling from maker to manager

Version One Ventures

the difference between becoming a CTO who provides technical direction vs. VP of Engineering who manages the whole dev team). If you do decide that you want to become a “manager”, there are a few things that can help you grow in to this role: Coach: Today, most CEOs of Silicon Valley start-ups use coaches to develop their CEO skills.