article thumbnail

"The Startup Way" is Headed to London

Startup Lessons Learned

“A remarkably useful playbook that every business, government, and nonprofit needs to ignite the spark of innovation and fuel the fire of change.” From New York, Philadelphia, and Boston to Los Angeles and San Francisco, entrepreneurs came out to share their enthusiasm -- you really are everywhere.

article thumbnail

Announcing our summer intern class

David Teten

Since then, he has co-written several business plans with fellow classmates and recently served as team leader on a Wharton Field Challenge consulting project for PhillyCarShare, a Philadelphia-based car-sharing startup. Prior to joining ff Venture Capital, Franklin was a summer analyst at J.P.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How do I find a developer to help me with my idea?

www.scottporad.com

Mike, a entrepreneur from Philadelphia, wrote to me with a brief summary of a new business idea he’s working on, and then posed three questions to me about finding a programmer to help him develop the idea. If I were in Mike’s shoes, I would start by talking to people in the Philadelphia Startup community.

article thumbnail

[US][Competition] U.S. Chamber of Commerce DREAM BIG Small Business Of The Year Award 2012

YoungUpstarts

The seven featured companies have already proven their worth as winners of the Blue Ribbon Award for innovative business practices and contributions to their local communities. The company operates a unique policy that requires each of its employees to spend at least one day each month volunteering in the local community.

article thumbnail

How To Lose Fat And Gain Muscle With Venture Capital

David Teten

At the American Society for Cell Biology Conference last month in Philadelphia, they described their approach as emulating venture capital by maximizing investigator productivity and investing in a portfolio of strong investigators. Blood pressure screenings at churches are an often-used example of effective community-based partnerships.

article thumbnail

How Technology Helps Today’s Nonprofits Succeed — Starting in the Boardroom

Board Effect

These options not only make a difference externally, but they underpin good governance practices when adopted internally. In a column on how much time board members should commit , Nick Marzano, board president at Young Involved Philadelphia, describes ideal “working board” members as “ride-or-dies, not just advisors.”

article thumbnail

New Plain Preferred Term Sheet

www.founderinstitute.com

The only science and technology-focused comprehensive university located between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Harrisburg University’s academic mission is to create, to attract and to expand economic opportunities in the region. Think of it as “shared office space meets incubator meets entrepreneurial club-house.”