article thumbnail

“It’s okay to take profits and not hodl forever.” Does this make Alex Taub a web3 contrarian or just reasonable?

Hunter Walker

Before becoming a founder, I worked at Aviary for two years and then Dwolla for two years (the latter with my future cofounder Michael Schonfeld ). I deliberately tried to work with people that I could learn a lot from and really engrain myself into the community. The community and camaraderie is like nothing I’ve ever seen.

Miami 81
article thumbnail

Startup Grind Turns the Tables on Mark Suster

Both Sides of the Table

Not just because meeting Clayton was influential in shaping my thinking about markets but also because Derek Andersen (who founded Startup Grind) is such an awesome host and runs a very informative events. It was all technical. Technical founder. Last month they turned the tables on me. And my specialty was computer networks.

Cofounder 337
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Opportunity Hub Partners with Capital Factory To Bridge Opportunity Gap

Austin Startup

Pre-swag surf group photo of HBCU@SXSW students and Spike Lee at Capital One House Over the past several years, tech communities across the United States have attempted to make significant progress towards increasing diversity and inclusion in their industries. Placement is 90%!

Partner 55
article thumbnail

How Universities Can Help Students and Alumni Work in the Tech Industry

David Teten

Along with some friends from Yale (my alma mater), I recently brainstormed some ideas to accelerate a university’s campus tech community. I’ve listed the most common levers that universities use below, with some live examples from Yale: Strong technical departments : Computer Science , Math , Physics. Companies in certain sectors (e.g.,

article thumbnail

Venture Capital Funding and the Sexism You Can’t Quite Prove

Up and Running

“In a lot of the industries in which I ended up launching companies, there was a pre-existing profile of what a successful entrepreneur should look like—typically a young, white male with a technical, finance, or political background,” says Aguirre de Carcer. These Women Entrepreneurs Created A Fake Male Cofounder To Dodge Startup Sexism.

article thumbnail

Smart Bear Live 7: More from AZ Disruptors

A Smart Bear: Startups and Marketing for Geeks

Dan: Member Desk is a hosted membership site software. Let’s people sell premium digital content online without dealing with any of the technical stuff. So maybe if you found the smaller bands who are also really good at communicating with their community. Dan: That’s pretty decently close, actually.

Cofounder 199
article thumbnail

Do You Need to Be a Developer to Found a Web Startup?

thenetsetter.com

Are you inventing new technical solutions to a problem? Facebook was a new way to manage social interaction, Google was a new way to search, Amazon was a new way to purchase, both Twitter and Blogger were new ways to communicate, and Digg was a new way to determine the relevance of news.

Web 40