article thumbnail

“To build a community, you need to focus much more on the user than on the buyer” - Snyk’s Guy Podjarny

Cracking the Code

That’s what I found most attractive about software development: building things. When you started Snyk, did you think about the importance of building a community from the offset, and is that what drove your decisions in terms of building and architecting the product? And I’ve always taken initiative.

article thumbnail

30 Entrepreneurs Reveal the Companies They are Starting in 2023

Hearpreneur

10- Software development Photo Credit: Derek Bruce Developing software that can safeguard online accounts for small businesses is, in my opinion, a wonderful business to begin, particularly if you have a talent for technology and are interested in finding a means to thwart the efforts of hackers. #15-

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How Technical Advisors can Help Non-Technical Founders

This is going to be BIG.

Plus, from the advisor side, it might be a good way to build up a little portfolio of startup equity without having to put up angel cash. Plus, it gives you some street cred if at least one software developer thinks that what you are building should and could be built. Venture Capital & Technology'

Founder 138
article thumbnail

The Software Developer’s Guide to Building an Online Reputation

Transformify

In the past, I have written about how important networking can be for your chances of finding a job as a software developer. This is especially true for developers looking for remote jobs since their options are much more limited (although growing). Personal portfolio. I know how hard it can be. Stack Overflow.

article thumbnail

Give Me Discipline Over Talent Everyday

This is going to be BIG.

Recently, I helped one of my portfolio companies make a VP of Marketing hire. A community manager of fans and users might not have the same knack for inspiring user-owners who are participants in a token-based ecosystem where they benefit from improvements in a system in which they are also stakeholders.

article thumbnail

boldstart in 2017, enterprise tech in 2018

BeyondVC

Thematically our new investments include 4 targeting the “Rise of the Developer,” 3 in “Intelligent Automation,” and 1 in “Decentralized Computing;” geographically 4 are in NYC, 3 in Bay Area, and 1 in LA (more on our themes ). 2 exits including yhat (sold to Alteryx? Our partners include IBM and one unannounced Fortune 50.

Cloud 60
article thumbnail

4 steps to starting a Web business without knowing a thing about coding

The Next Web

You might have started searching for a tech-oriented co-founder to help you launch your idea, only to find that your startup can’t afford the ongoing salary for a skilled software developer. There are also overseas companies that provide mobile and web development, and while the prices are typically low, often the quality is too.

Web 160