Remove 1998 Remove Community Remove Operations Remove Security
article thumbnail

Why Bitcoin is Gaining Worldwide Popularity

The Startup Magazine

Bitcoin is a peer-to-peer decentralised form of digital currency that uses cryptography to maintain security and anonymity (Nakamoto 2008). Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer transactions, mining, and other technological feats to operate without central authority or banks, unlike government-issued currencies. Conclusion.

article thumbnail

How to Improve Governance for Your Hospital Board

Board Effect

Hospital governance encompasses many different areas, including audit, education, compliance, regulation, security, and education. The C-suite, along with the frontline clinical and operational staff are the responsible parties for healthcare governance. Tracking access to facilities and ensuring security.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Probable and Improbable Lobbying Wins: The 1,000-stockholder Rule

Gust

Yet the content industry (principally represented by RIAA and MPAA) has been relentless in pushing for UGC site operators to be deputized in a copyright police state in the interest of fighting piracy. Google, which incorporated in 1998, has a market cap of $200 billion and employs more than 30,000 people.

IPO 110
article thumbnail

How Investors Are Increasing Their Returns Through Collaboration and Technology

David Teten

Panel 1 – How Social Investing is Disrupting Traditional Investing in Public Securities. Lindzon has more than 20 years experience in the financial community acting in both an entrepreneurial and investing capacity. Mr. Lindzon continues to manage a hedge fund he started in 1998. Moderator: Joseph W.

article thumbnail

Netflix vs. Blockbuster and bad profits (reflections from my Bazaarvoice days)

Austin Startup

Then in 1998 along came a tiny company in Los Gatos, California named Netflix. And don’t get me started on how great of a job Netflix does in creating high switching costs (or “community stickiness”) with all of its great ratings and social networking features. And the Blockbuster name became synonymous with late fees.

article thumbnail

What the Past Can Tell Us About the Future of Social Networking

Both Sides of the Table

Other people were in the online community called “ The Well &# (founded in 1985). We were looking for what I call the “6 C’s of Social Networking&# – Communications, connectedness, common experiences, content, commerce & cool experiences (fun!). And so it goes with social networking. And then came AOL.

article thumbnail

The Hard Thing About a Hard City: Why I Support Kathryn Garcia for Mayor of NYC

This is going to be BIG.

I trust her to hear out the community, gather all the data, and, unlike our current Towering Ineptitude, actually make a decision—one that she believes is right for New York, not just politically popular. To me, an organization that hits on all these tiny cylinders at once needs to be led by a competent operator.

Campaign 144