Remove 2002 Remove Community Remove Entrepreneur Remove Social Network
article thumbnail

LinkedIn: The Series A Fundraising Story ? AGILEVC

Agile VC

Silicon Valley is still emerging from the tech bubble and massive downturn of late 2000-2002. To give you a sense, for 2002 the entire US online ad market was $6B and had shrunk year over year (it was $25B+ for 2010). We’re a how-to site and community for small business on marketing. . link] leehower.

article thumbnail

What the Past Can Tell Us About the Future of Social Networking

Both Sides of the Table

I recently spoke at Caltech at the Caltech / MIT Enterprise Forum on “the future of social networking,&# the 30-minute video is here and the PowerPoint presentation is here on DocStoc ). What are the big trends that will drive the next phase of social networks? The Past (1985-2002). And then came AOL.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How much does it cost to build the world’s hottest startups?

The Next Web

And that involves processes, structures, feedback loops, analytics and a community.”. Luck, timing and social engineering are bigger components than most entrepreneurs care to imagine,” adds Werdelin. Still, a product is nothing without scalability. You can’t just build a product today, you need to build a venture. 3) Facebook.

Cost 168
article thumbnail

30 Entrepreneurs Explain Why They Started Their Business

Hearpreneur

We asked some entrepreneurs and business owners, why they started their businesses: #1- Provide pet owners with the information and education. I founded Wings Air Helicopters in 2002, which started out as a flight school with just one training helicopter and has since grown into a premier helicopter company. Photo credit: Dr. Tim Shu.

article thumbnail

9 Big Businesses That Began In College

YoungUpstarts

Some of these businesses are still with us, including Google and the social media behemoth Facebook. Some of the entrepreneurs below stayed in school while developing and operating their business, while others dropped out in order to give their venture their full attention. Time Magazine. project.

article thumbnail

Netflix vs. Blockbuster and bad profits (reflections from my Bazaarvoice days)

Austin Startup

And if you are an entrepreneur in search of a business idea, search for businesses that are in huge markets that are dependent on bad profits. This is one of my favorite business books of all time and perhaps the single most important book for entrepreneurs to read. They didn’t listen to the power of word of mouth.

article thumbnail

Startups in stealth mode need one piece of advice.

www.humbledmba.com

Since I was a new entrepreneur, I knew needed a lot of advice. As I reached out to successful investors and entrepreneurs, I made each of them signed my nifty NDA. Facebook wasnt the first to social networking, Google wasnt the first to search, YouTube wasnt the first to video, yada yada. Oh, and what was the company?

Stealth 90