Remove Advisory Board Remove Community Remove Government Remove Security
article thumbnail

Leaving Government for the Private Sector – Part 2

Steve Blank

Most of her lessons were applicable to any government employee venturing out to the private sector. Before leaving government service one of my biggest challenges was to understand how my skill as a Case Officer would translate into a job in the commercial world. Security roles : Some ex-Agency people gravitate to roles in security.

article thumbnail

Leaving Government for the Private Sector – Part 1

Steve Blank

Most of her lessons were applicable to any government employee venturing out to the private sector. Today, I get to move our national security mission in emerging technologies farther and faster in ways that I could not in government. Below is the first of her three-part series. You can move at exponential speed.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Does Your Nonprofit Need an Advisory Board?

Board Effect

The fact that your board is having a discussion about forming an advisory board is a good indication that it’s time to put the issue on your board’s agenda for discussion. You never know what experiences and perspectives your fellow board members will have on a certain topic once you bring it out into the open.

article thumbnail

Basics and Best Practices for Nonprofit Board Governance

Board Effect

Nonprofit board governance serves two very important purposes – fulfilling your nonprofit’s mission and ensuring its sustainability. Separately and together, nonprofit boards and governance play essential roles in the nonprofit sector, and it’s important to note the distinction between them.

article thumbnail

Strengthening Community Ties: How Nonprofit Leaders Can Better Approach Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion

Board Effect

It’s not uncommon for nonprofits to recruit experienced and qualified businesspeople to serve on their boards. While they’re experts at running nonprofit organizations, nonprofit board members don’t always understand their communities or the social context of the issues that affect their constituencies.

Equity 105
article thumbnail

Tips for Writing a Successful Business Plan for a Daycare Center

Up and Running

Are you in a bedroom community of a nearby city? Will you offer discounts, or accept government-subsidized or reduced payments from lower-income parents? Alternately, the landlord may agree to defer rent in return for a larger security deposit or added monthly payments. Buzz-in security system. Securing loans.

article thumbnail

4 Networking Tips for New Nonprofits

Up and Running

And then there are government regulations, strategic planning challenges , changing tax codes, organizational growth, membership, revenue, and other barriers. A new nonprofit must develop a strong and comprehensive fundraising strategy to have any chance of securing the funds it needs to operate. Better yet, identify community need.