article thumbnail

CEO Friday: Why we don’t hire.NET programmers

blog.expensify.com

As one of the coherent commentators says below, Joel Spolsky himself laments schools teaching Java with the same basic reasoning of my article above, albeit more diplomatically stated.) .NET But I’ve seen some recent comments that this post might have upset and offended the SMB community that we serve, and that I cannot abide.

Java 107
article thumbnail

Techies? Write Your Own Ticket In Southern California

blog.socaltech.com

My conclusion: if you’re a software engineer, with good technical background and ability, you can pretty much write your own ticket in Southern California. Or, what do you do if you’re just coming out of school and all you’ve done is Java coursework? Why do I say that? Build an app, get it into the App Store.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Google Engineer: How We Interview, How I’d Beat Us for Talent, & How Non-Technical Founders Should Approach Devs

View from Seed

Saurya Velagapudi is a senior software engineer at Google, based in their Cambridge, Mass., One example I’ve seen is when someone executes an exercise in code and they forget a basic function of a list in Java, for instance, which is something you should remember as essential. office, right in the heart of MIT.

article thumbnail

Choosing Technologies for Your Web Startup (Part 2)

crowdSPRING Blog

Unfortunately, in the world of software engineering, that’s a very real risk. of your product, and get criticism and suggestions from the blogosphere, press, enter into internet culture, foster a user community, and things change again… That’s complicated stuff that has to be done fast. Java, PHP, Python, Ruby?

article thumbnail

What is Drupal? or, My retraining in Software Development

Scalable Startup

But, there is a serious gap in the discipline, number of developers and community around real software development here. The world has changed – software development, app dev, and software engineering are taking over the center of the conversation, and Drupal/PHP is taking over the lead. Big boy applications.

article thumbnail

Can A Startup Do OffShore Development? Part 2

prosperati.com

You can find the latest and greatest Microsoft and Java certified developers here and indeed the entire consulting industry is built around certification. As a result, local universities here churn out thousands of new graduates each year who can spell Microsoft but understand nothing about proper software engineering.

article thumbnail

How To Find A Programmer To Build Your Startup Idea

socialmatchbox.com

We’re contact@socialmatchbox.com and we will be happy to get you in touch with the right recruiter or user group to talk to for networking purposes. client / Washington, DC ($500 Referral Reward) Developer/Partner / Rocket Whale, Inc. Ycombinator © 2010 Social Matchbox, - WordPress Themes by DBT.