article thumbnail

Embracing Your Community as a Strategy

Both Sides of the Table

I imagined that if I could run an event like this I might be able to persuade some LPs who hadn’t invested in our fund to come to Los Angeles. In Los Angeles the venture community is very collaborative. ” like Danielle Fong – if you’re interested I think you’ll see why with this video.

Community 150
article thumbnail

Why Has LA Suddenly Gotten So Much Attention from VCs and Entrepreneurs?

Both Sides of the Table

Let me start with the obvious baseline that most people probably know instinctively: Los Angeles is the 3rd largest technology startup ecosystem in the US. Many people don’t realize that the majority of the monetization of the Internet originated in Los Angeles but was perfected in Silicon Valley. LA By The Numbers.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

The One Video Every Silicon Valley Investor Should Watch

Both Sides of the Table

The video is simply amazing and is a must watch for any investor but I think will be enjoyed by all entrepreneurs, too. Magic spoke about how when he left basketball he wanted to bring businesses to African American communities that were lacking in basic services. Have a listen to the video yourself. He sold for a huge gain.

article thumbnail

Why We Need to Elect @EricGarcetti on Tues as Next Mayor of Los Angeles

Both Sides of the Table

On Tuesday Los Angeles will elect a new mayor. He understands our issues as a community and vows to help keep LA Tech on the map. I’d love to see a mayor in Los Angeles who does, too. Can’t get much better in a city like Los Angeles, hey? LA needs Garcetti. Why it Matters. The result?

article thumbnail

30 Entrepreneurs Explain Why They Started Their Businesses

Hearpreneur

I can now give back to my community in ways that would not have been possible earlier. 14- To solve issues in the beauty community. The plan was to solve those issues not only for us but for others in the beauty community. Thanks to Chandler Sterling, What's Good Los Angeles ! #27- Photo Credit: Mike Falahee.

article thumbnail

How Do I Feel About the Snap IPO Given I Didn’t Invest?

Both Sides of the Table

We are hugely appreciative of their successes because it’s helped grow technology talent in Los Angeles and some time down the line we know the “Snapchat Mafia” will be armed with millions of dollars and fund and create startups all over LA. I love this product & the community I’ve formed there.

IPO 214
article thumbnail

Sandy Hook Promise and Tech Activism

Both Sides of the Table

The tech community has become more politically active over the past 5 years and this is a good thing. Right now my energy will focus on issues affecting the city of Los Angeles and I will weigh in with views on LA politics soon. I know many people are passionate about this topic from many different angels.