article thumbnail

How a crappy promotion led to me being a software engineer

Austin Startup

This post expands on a recent podcast I did with Living Corporate outlining the story behind my career switch to software engineering. I’m currently coming up on my two-year anniversary as a software engineer on December 19, 2018. Before working as a software engineer, I was already in “tech”, just not at a startup.

article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

GrabCAD & Professional Communities ? AGILEVC

Agile VC

GrabCAD & Professional Communities. In addition to compelling founders, we were drawn to the company by their vision for a professional community for mechanical engineers and designers. You’ve seen this with companies like StackOverflow and Github in software engineering or Behance in visual design.

Community 100
article thumbnail

Tech Industry Hiring In Canada Continues To Grow

YoungUpstarts

These are software engineers, business analysts, project managers, graphic designers, and web developers. Vancouver has a situated tech market with a direct line to Silicon Valley. Calgary employers found software developer and engineer as the most in demand. The province has a robust start-up community.

Canada 167
article thumbnail

Transformify: The Sustainable Platform for Remote Jobs

Transformify

It was a growing community of people who enjoyed their digital nomad lifestyle. At the same time, talented software engineers, designers, digital marketing experts, product managers, etc. However, the salaries are spent locally, thus revitalizing the local communities.

article thumbnail

Why Has LA Suddenly Gotten So Much Attention from VCs and Entrepreneurs?

Both Sides of the Table

. Many people don’t realize that the majority of the monetization of the Internet originated in Los Angeles but was perfected in Silicon Valley. We don’t seem to get credit as a community for SpaceX or recognition as one of the fastest growing communities for commerce: Honest Company & JustFab.

article thumbnail

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Boston Tech Community (Fall 2013 Edition)

Rob Go

There is a wealth of resources that are unique to this town and a vibrant community of hackers, product designers, business people, and investors at various stages in their career. Mobile Mondays : Boston chapter of the world’s largest Mobile professional community. Extension Engine - Software engineering and design.

Boston 71