Remove 2004 Remove Community Remove Engineer Remove Portfolio
article thumbnail

Ted Rheingold Founded Dogster in 2004: Five Questions About Building a Startup, Selling a Startup and Whether SF Is Still a Good Place

Hunter Walker

Hunter Walk: I know you started Dogster, one of the seminal early online communities, but I don’t know Dogster’s founding story. Dogster launched January 12, 2004 (Happy 12th Birthday Dogster!) So I was thrilled to find CleverPet , an AI game for dogs made by animal behavioral scientists and electrical engineers.

article thumbnail

Start Your Marketplace Engines

Genuine VC

At NextView Ventures, we have a number of companies in our portfolio which are “marketplace” businesses, where buyers and sellers meet to exchange a good or service. The most often I’ve seen this approach work is through a fostering community of sellers, where these sellers find benefit in just interacting with each other.

Engineer 201
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Brad Feld Drops Knowledge. Here’s What He Said …

Both Sides of the Table

In 2004 / 2005 I was starting to get intrigued with user-generated content. I do something I now call community hours. And so that is a steady import of talent but even more interestingly what it really did is it re-energized the entrepreneurial community.”. Venture Capital in Boulder and other smaller communities. “So

article thumbnail

An Open Letter to Startup Founders Everywhere in a Time of Crisis

David Cohen

You are the engine of our future, after all. One in 2004 and one in 2006. Now is the time for you to adapt, to show your strength. Use your advantages. Do more faster. Emerge stronger. You can do this. We are all rooting for you to do this. You are the employers of tomorrow. Travel, insurance, and similar industries took huge hits.

Founder 174
article thumbnail

VC Evolution: Physician, Scale Thyself.

500hats.com

One of the earliest and most well-known of the Micro-VC funds was First Round Capital , founded in 2004 by Josh Kopelman , a former entrepreneur who sold Half.com to eBay in 2000. Many of these now-trendy Micro-VC funds began as individual angel investors who gradually grew up and started small funds (myself included).

article thumbnail

5/25-NYC – Investing in Intellectual Capital: Patents, Trademarks, Domain Names, Litigation, Government Rights, and other Intangible Assets

David Teten

He then led the growth of the domain services division, expanded into the aftermarket business and built Oversee’s owned and operated portfolio of domain names into one of the worlds largest, firmly establishing the company as a leader in Internet real estate. Mr. Geleerd has been a member of YPO since 2000.

Naming 122
article thumbnail

9/11: Bravery, Luck, & Resilience

thebarefootvc

So many young children were there, fascinated by the fire engines and uniforms. In the weeks leading up to 9/11, when I was working at Intel Capital in Silicon Valley, I was back on the east coast traveling with my family in the Berkshires and then had a meeting with a portfolio company that was headquartered in the World Trade Center.