Remove America Remove Community Remove Government Remove Restful
article thumbnail

Fixing immigration for startups: What the US government can (and should) do right now

The Next Web

FWD.US pulled the tech community into the discussion of how broken the U.S. However there’s very little clarity within the tech sector about what exactly is broken – and what should be changed to help companies other than Facebook, IBM, and others grow, and for America to attract and retain real immigrant talent. government plan.

article thumbnail

Janesville – A Story About the Rest of America

Steve Blank

I got to see the peak of America’s manufacturing prowess in the 1970s, when we actually made things – before we shipped the factories and jobs overseas. First , America was built on workers who believed that their hard work would allow their children to have opportunities to do better. Five stars for the reporting.

America 116
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

The Community Comeback: 14 Ways Local Leaders Are Reshaping America

YoungUpstarts

by Quint Studer, author of “ Building A Vibrant Community: How Citizen-Powered Change Is Reshaping AmericaAmerica’s small towns are doing really big things. We’re asking, How can we make our community the best it can be? Even deeply struggling communities can turn themselves around.

America 100
article thumbnail

The Case for Optimism and Risk at Startups

Both Sides of the Table

I told her that I believed America’s best asset – driven initially from software innovation mindset in the San Francisco Bay Area and media innovation driven from Los Angeles – was our willingness to accept failure. of Elon’s ideas to come to fruition and let him fail on the rest. I’d love even 0.5%

article thumbnail

“Regardless of who is in the White House, we have work to do from the bottom up and from the outside in” – Five Questions With Jennifer Pahlka of Code for America

Hunter Walker

I had heard of Code for America but wasn’t exactly sure what they did or how they did it. But Jen has been one of the leaders over this past decade of finding ways to marry technology and government. Donate , come work at Code for America , work in government , or join your local Code for America Brigade !

America 48
article thumbnail

The cardinal sin of community management

Startup Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by Eric Ries Friday, September 11, 2009 The cardinal sin of community management Once you have a product launched, you will the face the joys – and the despair – of a community that grows up around it. This probably sounds illogical. After all, people rarely say they are mad because they are not being heard.

Community 158
article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #3, Jen Pahlka and Raylene Yung on creating the U.S. Digital Response

Startup Lessons Learned

Deputy Chief Technology Officers Cori Zarek and Ryan Panchadsaram to help all levels of government with COVID-19 response and delivery of services. Jen is the founder and former executive director of Code for America. Highlights from the show Jen describes her background in government-tech partnerships. (2:52)