Remove Boston Remove Community Remove Startup Remove Venture Capital
article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. ” Put simply, if you care about building a successful tech community outside Silicon Valley you should read this book.

Community 378
article thumbnail

17 Venture Capital Blogs You Should Be Reading

Up and Running

Fortunately, many of the top VCs share their thoughts on their blogs and are full of advice for startups, both big and small. Inside the Minds of Top Venture Capitalists: Blogs You Need to Read to Understand How VCs Think. Eric Ries of The Lean Startup has called Andrew Chen’s blog “one of the best entrepreneurship blogs of all time.”

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

10 Best Cities in the United States for Startups and Entrepreneurs (2018)

crowdSPRING Blog

startup ecosystem for many decades. Despite repeated efforts, only a few cities outside the Valley (New York and Boston) have historically had the critical mix of VC funding, network, and talent to fuel vibrant startup centers. Best startup city rankings have reflected this truth for a long time. Austin, TX. Boulder, CO.

article thumbnail

Venture Capital Investors Look Beyond Your Startup

Startup Professionals Musings

Obviously, a key factor is always the state of the economy and the mood of the venture capital community. According to the Silicon Valley Venture Capitalist Confidence Index® for the First Quarter 2013, the Q1 increase marks three consecutive quarters of positive sentiment among Silicon Valley venture capitalists.

article thumbnail

GRP Announces $200 Million Fund. Rebrands as Upfront Ventures

Both Sides of the Table

But in Los Angeles, Santa Monica is akin to SoMa in San Francisco, Cambridge in the Boston area or Flatiron / Union Square in NYC. Santa Monica is the place where the highest concentration of early-stage startups are created if you consider also the contiguous geography of Venice Beach. Startup Advice'

article thumbnail

Entrepreneurial Density and Venture Capital

Feld Thoughts

Richard Florida continues to write amazing stuff about Startup Communities in The Atlantic Online. Two of his latest articles talk about entrepreneurial density and venture capital. The Connection Between Venture Capital and Diverse, Dense Communities. Was Cambridge separated from Boston?

article thumbnail

Brad Feld Drops Knowledge. Here’s What He Said …

Both Sides of the Table

Yeah, that was when I changed for me…” “…there was so much positive feedback on demystifying this one element of venture capital. Brad’s start in Venture Capital. a couple of people that worked for Softbank plus me got together and with sponsorships from Softbank created a separate venture fund.”. was starting.