article thumbnail

Customer Development in Japan: a History Lesson

Steve Blank

I asked Tsutsumi-san to write a guest post for my blog to describe his experience with Customer Development in Japan. Back in 1990’s, I was working for one of the leading sogo shohsa (trading company) in Japan, building data communications startups. Evangelizing Customer Development in Japan.

Japan 292
article thumbnail

10,000 Startups – Startup Weekend Next

Steve Blank

The class teaches founders how to dramatically reduce their failure rate through the combination of business model design, customer development and agile development using the Startup Owners Manual. More importantly, it makes no demands of you to stand and deliver your weekly customer development progress in front of your peers.

Startup 335
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

These Five Principles Will Accelerate Innovation

Steve Blank

I spent yesterday sifting through the most recent lessons learned and results from a series of accelerators BMNT is running for the intelligence community. They then incubated and delivered a solution that will help get large vessels back to sea faster, potentially saving the Navy $20M-$30M a year.

Curation 344
article thumbnail

A New Way to Teach Entrepreneurship – The Lean LaunchPad at Stanford: Class 1

Steve Blank

It was designed to bring together many of the new approaches to building a successful startup – customer development, agile development, business model generation and pivots. The first class was an introduction to the concepts of business model design and customer development. The Adventure Begins.

Lean 298
article thumbnail

Hacking for Defense @ Stanford – Weeks 8 and 9

Steve Blank

If you’ve been reading along so far, you know that this class is not an extended hackathon nor is it a 10-week long incubator. The diagram shows that during the class the sponsor needs drive customer discovery and product/market fit. Second: I also gave the commencement speech at the NYU engineering school here. It’s a ton of work.

article thumbnail

Getting out of the building…by staying in the building!

Steve Blank

Yet they share values and hopefully some synergy around topics of mutual interest (same customers, or technologies). Incubators are designed for teams with an idea. In order to get the healthcare community to collaborate with each other to bring new ideas to market they will need some help to catalyze the “co” part of co-working.

San Diego 261
article thumbnail

Back to Colombia: Vive La Revolución Emprendedora!

Steve Blank

Lean LaunchPad Colombia starts again today in Bogota with 25 more teams of tech entrepreneurs and at 25 mentors from the country’s universities, incubators, and chambers of commerce. Second, technology education is more skill-based, graduating lots of smart coders and IT managers, but not a lot of true development visionaries.

Colombia 321