article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

5 Reasons For Making An Investment Club Your Next Side Hustle

YoungUpstarts

More importantly, as far as your wealth is concerned, transparency enables the voices of those who consistently make good decisions to be taken more seriously by the investment club, and for you to gather insights in real time from the top performers across the community.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Why Your Business’s Purpose Should Be More Than Making Money

Up and Running

We have gotten used to treating one another as a means to our vested interests, thereby plaguing the very essential humanitarian value of mutual ethics, respect, love, and compassion. By this, he meant that anything beyond making a profit was… none of their business. “We So how will your organization do some good ? Fighting racism?

Framework 191
article thumbnail

Who Should be on Your Startup Board?

Both Sides of the Table

just having a sparring partner with a vested interest in your success can be useful. But gone are the days where VCs put dollars into companies and ask founders to step aside quickly so that the VC can install their favorite management team. Can I really manage a 7-person board plus 2 board observers? Legally speaking.

article thumbnail

Should You Negotiate Ownership Options In A Startup?

Startup Professionals Musings

By the way, you will normally only be offered “options,” which vest over a 4-year period after a 1-year “cliff.” With all that said, here are some “rule of thumb” guidelines on what might be a reasonable offer, as summarized from a classic article by Guy Kawasaki , and based on discussions I hear rattling around the investor community.

article thumbnail

How to Launch Your Own Startup Part 4 (money, culture and becoming a manager)

The Next Web

Today, in steps 10-12 I want to discuss with you raising your first round of money, hiring to develop and maintain your company culture, as well as defining your role in the management of your startup. But never give away shares without vesting. And your first community person is not likely to be your VP Marketing.

article thumbnail

Should You Offer Equity Compensation to Employees?

Up and Running

Stock options are issued to employees usually through an Employee Stock Option Plan (ESOP) and include what is called a “vesting period.” The vesting period, often three or four years, frees up a percentage of the options for the employee to purchase the longer they stay at the company. Restricted stock: .

Equity 60