article thumbnail

The Secret History of Minnesota Part 1: Engineering Research Associates

Steve Blank

No Knowledge of Computers Silicon Valley emerged from work in World War II led by Stanford professor Fred Terman developing microwave and electronics for Electronic Warfare systems. Silicon Valley wouldn’t have a computer company until 1966 when Hewlett Packard shipped the HP 2116 minicomputer. million today.)

Minnesota 309
article thumbnail

The Secret History of Silicon Valley Part V: Happy 100th Birthday.

Steve Blank

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance I always had been curious about how Silicon Valley, a place I had lived and worked in, came to be. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance I always had been curious about how Silicon Valley, a place I had lived and worked in, came to be. How did Silicon Valley start?

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Why The Government is Isn’t a Bigger Version of a Startup

Steve Blank

academia was engaged in weapon systems research for the Defense Department and intelligence community. Indeed, Silicon Valley was born as a center for weapon systems development and its software and silicon helped end the Cold War. There was a time when much of U.S.

article thumbnail

Hacking for Defense @ Stanford 2021 Lessons Learned Presentations

Steve Blank

I want to make my community, country or world a better place, while being challenged to solve some of the toughest problems.”. Few consider opportunities to make the world safer with the Department of Defense, Intelligence community or other government agencies. Team Neurosmart – Optimizing Performance of Special Operators.

Lean 413
article thumbnail

7 Critical Resources For A Thriving Startup Community

Startup Professionals Musings

I saw these addressed well in a new book, “ The Startup Community Way ,” by Brad Feld and Ian Hathaway. These guys have been building startup communities like Techstars for over 30 years, so they know what works and what doesn’t. Building a startup is not a solo operation. Human capital – talent, knowledge, skills, experience.

Community 329
article thumbnail

Leaving Government for the Private Sector – Part 2

Steve Blank

Laura Thomas is a former CIA operations officer. Strategy and Operations roles: These roles help make sure vision, resources (budgets and people), and the market opportunity are aligned. For me, personally : People in the senior ranks at startups usually call themselves operators. Below is the second of her three-part series.

article thumbnail

Tackling The Talent Gap: Best Practices For Uncovering New Hires

YoungUpstarts

by Kristy Campbell, Chief Operating Officer at Rev1 Ventures. Robust startup economies are popping up in communities all over the country, proving that entrepreneurs can succeed outside of Silicon Valley. However, with this growth comes higher demand and more competition for top talent. Look to organizations like i.c.

Hiring 100