Remove California Remove Community Remove Engineer Remove Lean
article thumbnail

Hacking for Defense @ Stanford 2021 Lessons Learned Presentations

Steve Blank

While all the teams used the Mission Model Canvas , (videos here ), Customer Development and Agile Engineering to build Minimal Viable Products, each of their journeys was unique. I want to make my community, country or world a better place, while being challenged to solve some of the toughest problems.”.

Lean 385
article thumbnail

The State Department Meets the Lean Startup – Hacking For Diplomacy

Steve Blank

Building off last spring’s pioneering Hacking for Defense class, which sought to connect Silicon Valley’s innovation culture and mindset to the Pentagon and the intelligence community, we’ve now expanded our horizons to the Department of State. The time difference between Washington and California often doesn’t help.

Lean 273
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Ardent War Story 5: The Best Marketers Are Engineers

Steve Blank

Building an Advisory Board In my travels outside the building I kept my eyes out for articulate and visionary scientists and engineers who had expertise we lacked, and were willing to help in an advisory capacity. I chose to hire engineers from within each of our target markets and set up “Steve’s one month MBA course for engineers.”

Engineer 198
article thumbnail

The State Department Meets the Lean Startup – Hacking For Diplomacy

Steve Blank

Building off last spring’s pioneering Hacking for Defense class, which sought to connect Silicon Valley’s innovation culture and mindset to the Pentagon and the intelligence community, we’ve now expanded our horizons to the Department of State. The time difference between Washington and California often doesn’t help.

Lean 120
article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #20: the founders of Bitwise on the role of technology in empowering people, spreading benefits to underserved communities, and the creation of OnwardUS

Startup Lessons Learned

Our fundamental thesis is that people of color, women, communities of concentrated poverty, have immense talent to contribute to the technology industry," Jake explained to me. "In They created a program called Onward California in partnership with the State of California and with the support of governor Newsom.

Fresno 60
article thumbnail

The Secret History of Silicon Valley Part V: Happy 100th Birthday.

Steve Blank

By the late 1930′s when HP started, a small group (measured in hundreds) of engineers who made radio tubes were building the valleys’ ecosystem for electronics manufacturing, product engineering and technology management. And these microwave engineers were working at startups – not large companies.

article thumbnail

Touching the Hot Stove – Experiential versus Theoretical Learning.

Steve Blank

Since I wasn’t an engineer, my contribution was around the team-building and fund raising. Customer Development/Lean Startups In hindsight startups and the venture capital community left out the most important first step any startup ought to be doing – hypothesis testing in front of customers- from day one. I was an idiot.