article thumbnail

The One Video Every Silicon Valley Investor Should Watch

Both Sides of the Table

But it highlighted the misperceptions many people have had about serving urban markets. Magic spoke about how when he left basketball he wanted to bring businesses to African American communities that were lacking in basic services. The story was nearly universal. I was inspired by each of the panelists.

article thumbnail

Amsterdam-based Rockstart Accelerator’s first graduates head to Silicon Valley

The Next Web

The accelerator, which counts Amazon CTO Werner Vogels among its startup mentors , will be showcasing its first batch of startups (see list below) in Silicon Valley on the 20th of September, followed by a panel discussion about “The Future of the European Startup Community” Sounds riveting!

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

8 Tactics To Make You A Fearless Business Innovator

Startup Professionals Musings

They don’t realize that these are still rare, require a large risk, and may not be the best way to keep up with change in the market. As an alternative, I usually recommend more incremental innovation , derived from recognized market changes, done on a regular basis, without the big-bang expectation.

article thumbnail

5 Keys To Starting A New Venture In Your Local Town

Startup Professionals Musings

Image via Wikipedia From the advice I hear these days, if you want to be a successful entrepreneur, you need to be in Silicon Valley, Boston, New York, or one of the few other financial hubs around the world. Sizing the market, projecting revenue, and calculating break-even points are critical, even for a coffee shop.

article thumbnail

Cynicism in Silicon Valley

Feld Thoughts

As I was reading The Atlantic article Silicon Valley Abandons the Culture That Made It the Envy of the World I kept flashing to the end of Anna Wiener’s awesome memoir Uncanny Valley. Readers of this blog and my book Startup Communities know that I’m a huge fan of AnnaLee Saxenian. And It’s a Nightmare.

article thumbnail

Snowflakes in the Valley: What Happens When 40 Nordic Entrepreneurs Visit Silicon Valley

ReadWriteStart

The Internet might be truly global then, but the world of startups still revolves much around Silicon Valley. The market is larger, less fragmented, the consumers are earlier adopters. The old continent often looks up to the Valley as a sort of Eldorado of IT. Silicon Valley is a hub. A trader on Wall St.

article thumbnail

Is Going for Rapid Growth Always Good? Aren’t Startups So Much More?

Both Sides of the Table

Growth will slow, partly due to internal limits and partly because the company is starting to bump up against the limits of the markets it serves.” He talks about making things that people want & going after a big enough market. And the wrong message is frankly strewn all over Silicon Valley.