article thumbnail

This Week in Venture Capital – Episode 2

Both Sides of the Table

I was on This Week in Venture Capital (TWiVC) again this week with Jason Calacanis. I think the best solution for the social networking era is “in-stream&# advertising. I know you could argue that YouTube was much broader but it was really popularized in the social networks. uh, hello!

article thumbnail

Corporate Venture Capital: Obligatory or Oxymoron?

David Teten

She had so much insight to share that we broke the interview into two parts, 1) Corporate Venture Capital and more broadly, 2) How the Fortune 500 Can Buy, Invest and Partner with the Innovation Economy (coming soon). . At Virgin Mobile USA, Mari led early initiatives in mobile commerce, social networking and advertising.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How Private Equity and Venture Capital Investors Are Eating Their Own Dogfood

David Teten

Private equity and venture capital investors are copying our sisters in the hedge fund and mutual fund world: we’re trying to automate more of our job. Relationship Science makes it easier to understand and map social networks into potential limited partners. to motivate their angel community to support their startups.

article thumbnail

Startup opportunities in the Metaverse

VC Cafe

There will be people, especially from the crypto community, that disagree with us on this one. Crypto projects like BAYC have successfully created a new social network, transportable to any other social platform, yet exclusive with real-life benefits. Community driven Economies. Picture: nftculture.com.

Startup 187
article thumbnail

It’s Morning in Venture Capital

Both Sides of the Table

Many observers of the venture capital industry have questioned whether its best days are behind it. Looking ahead at the next decade I am excited by what I believe will be viewed as one of the best and most rational investment periods for venture capital due to seven discrete factors: 1. Thank you, Aaron Sorkin!

article thumbnail

The top 10 companies investing billions in the Metaverse

VC Cafe

“This investment will accelerate our work to build the metaverse and create spaces where players can have fun with friends, brands can build creative and immersive experiences and creators can build a community and thrive.” Animoca Brands is a Hong Kong-based game software company and venture capital company founded 2014 by Yat Siu.

IP 206
article thumbnail

The most important 2021 Predictions in entertainment tech and gaming

VC Cafe

It’s enough to see the rapid adoption of new social platforms from Signal in messaging to Clubhouse’s $1 billion valuation in less than a year. Read A16Z’s social strikes back series to get a feel of just how much movement is in this space. Snap and Tiktok fighting for users (source: eMarketer ). Immersive ar/vr/xr.