article thumbnail

Leaving Government for the Private Sector – Part 1

Steve Blank

Most of her lessons were applicable to any government employee venturing out to the private sector. At the Agency , 85% of my time was spent navigating bureaucracy and equities, arguing for resources and permission for operations, and dealing with the bottom rung of employees, all while making decisions with little data or data overload.

article thumbnail

Leaving Government for the Private Sector – Part 2

Steve Blank

Most of her lessons were applicable to any government employee venturing out to the private sector. Before leaving government service one of my biggest challenges was to understand how my skill as a Case Officer would translate into a job in the commercial world. It provides governance and financial oversight to the company.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

5 Key Trends Impacting Nonprofit Governance Plus Key Questions Boards Need To Be Asking 

Board Effect

Good governance for nonprofits is hard. This article outlines 5 key trends impacting governance for nonprofits and shares key questions that boards need to be asking, along with suggestions for strategies to start tackling them. Use your nominating and governance committees to facilitate and streamline succession planning.

article thumbnail

Experts share tips for mission-driven organizations on DE&I

Board Effect

Mission-driven organizations strive to serve their communities and constituents with integrity and purpose. The profound impact of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) is a centerpiece of the stewardship of these organizations; sustained and effective social response and problem solving requires diverse and inclusive governance.

Ireland 52
article thumbnail

5 Steps To Finding The Best Investor For Your Startup

Startup Professionals Musings

Taking on equity investors to fund your company is much like getting married – it is a long-term relationship that has to work at all levels. Check for positive or negative news articles, press releases, relationships, and support of community organizations. Invite the investor to dinner or fun-related activity.

article thumbnail

A Board Effectiveness Checklist for Nonprofit Healthcare Boards

Board Effect

Patient access and equity. Just as community healthcare organizations strive to achieve sustained growth and reduce risk, board members also need to strive to perform at their peak in overseeing the institution. Get Back to Governance Basics Examine the quality of your board orientation training. Increasing healthcare costs.

article thumbnail

5 Keys To Vetting Investors Before You Accept Funding

Startup Professionals Musings

Taking on equity investors to fund your company is much like getting married – it is a long-term relationship that has to work at all levels. Check for positive or negative news articles, press releases, relationships, and support of community organizations. Invite the investor to dinner or fun-related activity.