article thumbnail

How To Get a Job In Venture Capital

VC Adventure

The number of new venture firms raising their first fund has increased markedly – especially since 2011 (new funds are a good barometer of the growth of the industry, and a leading indicator of job growth in venture capital). So has the typical profile of a venture professional. Get involved in your community.

article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

This Week in Venture Capital – Episode 2

Both Sides of the Table

I was on This Week in Venture Capital (TWiVC) again this week with Jason Calacanis. Stitcher - San Francisco-based service that lets users customize talk radio programming on their mobile devices. 10 million in Series B Menlo Ventures , Steamboat. Tags: This Week in Venture Capital VC Industry.

article thumbnail

Why Small Community Lenders Have Your Back

Up and Running

But don’t fret—community lenders are helping small businesses. Meet the community lenders. Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) are one type of community lender. They are usually nonprofit organizations committed to the mission of making capital accessible to the communities they serve.

Community 117
article thumbnail

Why The Government is Isn’t a Bigger Version of a Startup

Steve Blank

academia was engaged in weapon systems research for the Defense Department and intelligence community. As there was no venture capital, these early startups were funded by early sales to weapon systems prime contractors and subcontractors. This article previously appeared in War On The Rocks. There was a time when much of U.S.

article thumbnail

Announcing nextNY Fellows: An Innovation Community Leadership Initiative

This is going to be BIG.

Five years ago, I started nextNY with the idea that it would be participant driven--that the community would take an active role in managing itself. The details of this program are below. Monthly small group lunches with leaders in the innovation community--like venture capital firms and successful entrepreneurs. -

Community 102
article thumbnail

Brad Feld Drops Knowledge. Here’s What He Said …

Both Sides of the Table

Yeah, that was when I changed for me…” “…there was so much positive feedback on demystifying this one element of venture capital. Brad’s start in Venture Capital. a couple of people that worked for Softbank plus me got together and with sponsorships from Softbank created a separate venture fund.”. was starting.