article thumbnail

“I Can Really See Us Leading This Funding Round” Isn’t a Term Sheet

Hunter Walker

This rarely occurs with established investors, because they know breaking their word is a reputation killer around our community. Can someone develop a reputation for being a Mr or Ms Maybe or overpromising and underdelivering? Or the investor didn’t have the money to close the commitment. But it still does.

article thumbnail

Why Entrepreneurs Should Be Generous With Investors

YoungUpstarts

It’s often more all about fearing how tough VCs are going to be with their term sheets and ‘standard’ clauses. Your Reputation is on the Line. Though if you have a reputation giving bad deals, you may not have anyone to negotiate with in the future. As well as how to work with pre and post-money valuations.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How to raise money for your startup from VCs and investors in Asia

The Next Web

As I touched on before, China and India have the most mature VC communities. The term sheets tend to be fairly standardized and straightforward as well. Term sheets are littered with many more obscure protective provisions and onerous terms. Unfortunately, none of it happens this way in Asia.

Asia 132
article thumbnail

8 Angel Investors That Entrepreneurs Should Avoid

Startup Professionals Musings

A few angel investors have slipped or fallen from their lofty perch, so entrepreneurs must take great care to validate the character and reputation of every prospective investor. If the term sheet process turns to pure torture, it may be time to respectfully bow out. Many entrepreneurs believe all money is created equal.

article thumbnail

8 Reasons All Angel Investor Money May Not Be Equal

A few angel investors have slipped or fallen from their lofty perch, so entrepreneurs must take great care to validate the character and reputation of every prospective investor. If the term sheet process turns to pure torture, it may be time to respectfully bow out. Many entrepreneurs believe all money is created equal.

article thumbnail

How to Work with Lawyers at a Startup

Both Sides of the Table

I’ve met several people from Cooley Godward who have stellar reputations in this category. He’s totally tapped into the startup communities in Silicon Valley and a bit in LA. He was the first guy that I saw demystify the legal terms in his term sheet series. I already mentioned DLA Piper.

article thumbnail

Some Angel Investors Have Not Earned Their Wings