article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

How To Maximize A Limited Labor Budget With Gig Work

YoungUpstarts

Technology is shrinking the world every day, creating a marketplace where businesses find themselves competing with companies around the world for workers and consumers. But gig work is in fact a return to an old labor model in which individuals sought out jobs on the basis of how their skills contributed to the community.

San Diego 157
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

The Top 10 Reasons Why Startups Fail

Business Plan Blog

Steve Rowles has been serving the San Diego startup ecosystem for over 20 years. Beginning in 1987, he worked in the garages of the first companies to come out of UC San Diego. Steve recently spoke to a group of entrepreneurs about the top 10 reasons why startups fail. Top 10 Reasons Why Startups Fail.

article thumbnail

Meta’s CTO Andrew Bosworth Says Video Games Were What Hooked Him On Tech

Hunter Walker

Hunter Walk: For me, two formative moments with technology occurred pre-adulthood: Print Shop on the Mac and Alt.Net newsgroups. The combo convinced me that software was for creativity and community — 100% impacted the rest of my life. Do you have any “AHA!” memories of your own with regards to tech?

Video 104
article thumbnail

Brad Feld Drops Knowledge. Here’s What He Said …

Both Sides of the Table

I owe ya’ a 20 minute call (or in person next time I’m in San Diego). We have a theme we call Protocol, which are technology protocols and markets built around technology protocols like SMTP for email and RSS. I do something I now call community hours. Brad on blogging. How did you start blogging? “My

article thumbnail

10 Companies Want To Show You The Money

YoungUpstarts

Paul, San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Seattle, Chicago, Boston, and Washington, DC. All Lyft drivers must be friendly, community-oriented drivers who love meeting new people, who can pass a phone screen, an in-person meeting and background & DMV record checks. Currently available in Dallas, Indianapolis, St.

article thumbnail

Startup Grind Turns the Tables on Mark Suster

Both Sides of the Table

” We talked about my influences as a younger person and what got me started in technology and entrepreneurship. We had a finance group for all of the bank branches based in San Diego, and I wrote programs to download stuff from the mainframe so we could do analysis three days faster than they could send us the data.

Cofounder 337