article thumbnail

Embracing Your Community as a Strategy

Both Sides of the Table

I imagined that if I could run an event like this I might be able to persuade some LPs who hadn’t invested in our fund to come to Los Angeles. I knew that many LPs nationally were not yet convince about the power of the LA tech community and I figured if they could experience it for themselves they would be as convinced as I had become.

Community 150
article thumbnail

Observations from my trip to India

Version One Ventures

Version One has made only one investment in the region ( Headout , a fast growing marketplace for travel experiences) and I had written a small LP cheque into an emerging fund manager ( 1947 Rise , run by the awesome Shiva Sangwan ). billion people, India itself represents a massive market.

India 86
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

It’s Morning in Venture Capital

Both Sides of the Table

There are obvious reasons the industry has had less-than-desirable returns, including: massive over-funding of the sector, huge increases in inexperienced venture capitalists that took a decade to peter out, and the massive correction in the value of the public stock markets that closed many exit opportunities for half a decade.

article thumbnail

Playing the Long Game in Venture Capital

Both Sides of the Table

The Valley has obsessed with a quick up-and-to-right momentum story because we were thought to live in “winner take most” markets. But markets have changed and I think investors, founders and experienced executives who want to join later-stage startups can all benefit from playing the long game. It literally drove FOMO.

article thumbnail

New Meetup on Building Tech Tools for Private Equity+VC Investors

David Teten

I’ve just launched a new Meetup and online community I’m heading up with David. Our meetup is focused on how to use technology to enhance investing in private markets, including VC, growth, buyout, and distressed. Engineers, product managers, and platform managers building tech solutions for private market investing.

article thumbnail

2022 Predictions

Eric Friedman

With the advent of programs like CartaX and what I call streaming venture funds , the liquidity in private markets is going to get the foundation to grow significantly in 2021. This makes for “taking” a game community easier, and introduces new complexity for big game studios. 8/ A proper accelerator is setup for GPs.

article thumbnail

The Silent Killer – The Company Your Community Never Created

Both Sides of the Table

Of course this can be done and of course I am a big proponent of the rise of startup centers across the country as the Internet has moved from the “infrastructure phase” to the “application phase” dominated by the three C’s: content, communications and commerce. So what can a community do?

Community 369