Remove Advertising Remove Community Remove Continuous Deployment Remove New York
article thumbnail

The cardinal sin of community management

Startup Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by Eric Ries Friday, September 11, 2009 The cardinal sin of community management Once you have a product launched, you will the face the joys – and the despair – of a community that grows up around it. This probably sounds illogical. After all, people rarely say they are mad because they are not being heard.

Community 158
article thumbnail

Business ecology and the four customer currencies

Startup Lessons Learned

And passionate players are often the backbone of game communities – especially online. We cultivated a passionate community that nurtured a skilled set of developers. In the old days, these media companies would then themselves plow this profit back into marketing and advertising, and grow.

Customer 156
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

The Lean Startup Workshop - now an O'Reilly Master Class

Startup Lessons Learned

Were not going to have any form of advertising, but I am considering trying to offer a scholarship program to worthy entrepreneurs, just as we did for the Web 2.0 I have contacts within the university and entrepreneurial communities and would be happy to help you set up something if interested. Let me know. It is valuable.

Lean 60
article thumbnail

Marching through quicksand

Startup Lessons Learned

Or follow all of the New York Times columnists equally? This is good news for everyone except those who have huge legacy investments in large-batch distribution. Make it easy to “pilot&# new work with a test community of actively engaged readers, and provide a mechanism for measuring the impact of these pilots.

article thumbnail

Learning from Obama: maneuver warfare on the campaign trail

Startup Lessons Learned

We were building a community, open to anyone who shared its values, and that mission inspired volunteers and staff to try and reach out to as many people as possible. Case Study: Continuous deployment makes releases n. Getting educated about advertising, agencies, and. Two Ways to Hold Entrepreneurs Accountable (for Ha.

article thumbnail

Lessons Learned: Three freemium strategies

Startup Lessons Learned

Their economics blends elements of the free, advertising-supported, "eyeballs" business with more traditional e-commerce and subscription businesses. I think this is the right way to think about many advertising businesses, like Google AdWords. Is it that they act as free advertising for our premium product? Free as inventory.

article thumbnail

Lessons Learned: Net Promoter Score: an operational tool to.

Startup Lessons Learned

Theres a lot of controversy surrounding NPS in the customer research community, and I dont want to recapitulate it here. Even if you have a very large community, I dont think this number needs to be higher than 100. In other words, we committed the one cardinal sin of community management. Heres how Ive set it up in the past.

.Net 158