Remove Cofounder Remove Community Remove Georgia Remove Leadership
article thumbnail

2017 Diversity Data for Capital Factory

Austin Startup

Diverse in this context means “not a white male,” members are coworkers in our community and investments are Accelerator startups. Of our 61 Accelerator startups in 2017, 8% had at least one Black founder, 13% had at least one Female founder, 16% had at least one Asian founder, 21% had at least one LatinX founder.

article thumbnail

Startup Chica Spotlight: Meet Some of Austin’s Female Founders

Austin Startup

Nelly Garcia, Co-Founder of Rocheli Patisserie Nelly Garcia, Co-Founder of Rocheli Patisserie Nelly Garcia was born in Monterrey, Mexico, and immigrated to Austin, Texas, in 2002 at the age of 15. She has a bachelor’s degree in biology from the Georgia Institute of Technology.

Founder 62
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

$100,000 Diversity & Inclusion Investment Challenge

Austin Startup

Capital Factory is committed to creating and supporting diversity in the tech community. Mellie Price recently stepped up to the plate as our Director of Diversity & Inclusion, and she has been working with many community stakeholders to organize and collaborate with the many different organizations focused on this mission in Austin. “We

Georgia 81
article thumbnail

Texas Startup Manifesto 2.0

Austin Startup

It seems like every day there is a new headline about an exceptional startup founder, investor, or corporate headquarters moving to Texas. Our community colleges are excellent as well, including the Alamo Colleges, Austin Community College, the Dallas College and the Lone Star Community College. Joe Lonsdale. Jim Breyer.

Texas 90
article thumbnail

The Female Austinite’s Guide to Making Quality Friends.

Austin Startup

I was ready for a change so, I packed up my little car with everything I owned and headed to Texas from Roswell, Georgia. The founders amaze me with how quickly they have expanded and developed — they do this while having full-time jobs and being under the age of 25…what?! I knew I had found my group! They are killing it.

Austin 48
article thumbnail

The Secret History of Minnesota Part 1: Engineering Research Associates

Steve Blank

Dual-Use Technology As the war was winding down, the leadership of the Navy Computing Machine Lab in OPS-20-G was thinking about how they could permanently link commercial, academic and military computing science and innovation to the Navy. When they couldn’t find any customers they donated the ERA 1101 to Georgia Tech.

Minnesota 298
article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #14: Robert Rhinehart on the Corona Initiative, accelerating basic research, and finding a cure faster

Startup Lessons Learned

You may know him as the founder of Soylent, the nutrition company he started in his kitchen and scaled nationwide. Robert believes in "the powerful idea of self-reliance and this idea that you should know how to take care of yourself, and your family, and your community." Robert Rhinehart has always been interested in science.