article thumbnail

Turning the microphone over

Startup Lessons Learned

This struggle pales in comparison to what the Black community is suffering through. We must educate ourselves on the systemic issues the Black community faces and has faced regularly. For those that don’t know, I live in downtown Oakland which has been one of the protest flashpoints. Black Lives Matter.

Oakland 83
article thumbnail

Diverse Lead Firms

Austin Startup

Utilizing cultural, financial, and intellectual capital, Breaux & Company helps influential brands rethink Diversity and Inclusion challenges and assists while launching new companies that solve problems for communities of color. We all have decades of experience investing in and managing the best technology companies in the world.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Real Estate Developer Danny Haber Of oWOW Reinvigorates Bay Area

YoungUpstarts

Estimates indicate a 23% increase in employment with tech companies in the 10 years since the Global Financial Crisis hit. oWOW’s work is supported by many high-profile individuals like the former vice mayor of Oakland, California, Annie Campbell Washington, and Elaine Brown of the Black Panther Party.

article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #19: Revolution Foods co-founders on feeding kids and families, being parent-entrepreneurs, and scaling food security innovations

Startup Lessons Learned

They were providing low-cost healthy meals for schools across the country and, before the crisis, were delivering two million federally reimbursable school and community meals per week nationwide. And we've layered that with another crises of the exposure of continued racial injustice throughout our communities.

article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #3, Jen Pahlka and Raylene Yung on creating the U.S. Digital Response

Startup Lessons Learned

35:50) Building community on text messages and threads. (38:30) I live in Oakland with my husband and now my dog. There are people in communities who are trying to deliver food to needy residents. I think that something that's really unprecedented, certainly in my lifetime around this, is what a global phenomenon it is.

article thumbnail

Boom and Bust and What Comes Next

Scalable Startup

While the global financial crash of 2008 and the resulting Great Recession initially slowed job growth in Silicon Valley, the meteoric rise of smart phones and social media helped the tech industry as a whole to power ahead despite the near collapse of the global economy. A Variation on the Global Economic Crash of 2008?