article thumbnail

What is a Social Enterprise?

Up and Running

it is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit, but because of its dedication to sustainability, it is now working with local communities to form separate stove manufacturing factories in their countries. Here in the U.S. InStove contributes both the technology for efficient stoves, and the means to create sustainable jobs. B corp, or Benefit Corporation.

article thumbnail

Launching a Portfolio Acceleration Platform at a Venture Capital or Private Equity Fund

David Teten

VC Platform community has grown approximately 120% in the last 3 years. A VC can build out relations with the innovation groups at the Global 2,000, which turn into lead-gen for portfolio companies selling to the Global 2,000. John Maeda, formerly Design Partner, KPCB; formerly President of Rhode Island School of Design.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Meet Our Newest Portfolio Company, Airbnb

Ben's Blog

Brian Chesky and Joe Gebbia met at the Rhode Island School of Design and became roommates in San Francisco in 2007. Hosts can earn substantial sums of money—one has even used Airbnb earnings to pay off his mortgage—and their community of users is passionate about the service, enjoying the social aspects of Airbnb travel.

article thumbnail

What Is a Benefit Corporation?

Up and Running

Now, you can create a benefit corporation in: Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington D.C., with many more states in the pending legislation phase.

article thumbnail

26 Entrepreneurs Explain How They Came Up With Their Business Name

Hearpreneur

I came up with the name Excel Global Partners for my corporate consulting firm because of the vision I had for the company. Global – I wanted my company to have a global reach. Nowlin, Excel Global Partners ! #10- Our business began on the island of Block Island, Rhode Island. 17- Simple way.

Naming 101
article thumbnail

The Venture Capital Secret: 3 Out of 4 Start-Ups Fail

online.wsj.com

Globaloney: Globalization Challenged. Rhode Island. Rhode Island. Globaloney: Globalization Challenged. Journal Community. Journal Community. A community of WSJ readers interested in franchising news, trends and issues. Bicyclists of a Feather Flock Together. Whats Inside the iPhone 5?

article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #7, Brian Chesky Part 1: running Airbnb in crisis mode, being multi-stakeholder, and re-founding the company

Startup Lessons Learned

I've known Brian Chesky, Co-Founder, CEO and Head of Community at Airbnb for a long time. Instead, the global pandemic has turned 2020 into its most harrowing year. You become a global company. If you're in the travel business, a global pandemic is an existential threat. 8:22) On how crisis reveals character. (9:11)