article thumbnail

What is a Social Enterprise?

Up and Running

An excellent example of a social enterprise is The Empowerment Plan —an organization that hires people currently living in homeless shelters to create a combination winter coat, sleeping bag, and over-the-shoulder bag, which is then distributed to the homeless of Detroit free of charge. What does a social enterprise look like?

article thumbnail

Launching a Portfolio Acceleration Platform at a Venture Capital or Private Equity Fund

David Teten

VC Platform community has grown approximately 120% in the last 3 years. For example, I suggest it doesn’t make a lot of sense to hire a full-time team member who’s an SEO consultant. You might hire a really amazing designer, and perhaps even charge companies for their service for cost recovery purposes. Is the service scaleable?

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How to Choose a Business Location

Up and Running

Do you have access to an engaged community that is eager to help? Our business in located on Country Club Drive and down the street from a large country club community.”. An interior designer was hired to make the space shine. He wanted to stay rooted in his community in South Carolina. “My Is safety very important?

article thumbnail

The Venture Capital Secret: 3 Out of 4 Start-Ups Fail

online.wsj.com

Firms Miss Out on Jobs Push A new federal program that lets states give companies financial incentives for hiring jobless people hasnt gained traction, illustrating the complications of government attempts to tackle unemployment. Rhode Island. Rhode Island. Journal Community. Journal Community.

article thumbnail

People-First Capitalism

Reid Hoffman

And I hired a COO, Belinda Johnson , and she said, “No, if people don’t like you, you should meet with them.” When I was at RISD, I went to Rhode Island School of Design, there was this idea that was emerging called The Green Movement, the sustainability movement. Communities, we want to strengthen the communities we’re serving.

article thumbnail

How to Get a Quality Logo Without Spending Big Bucks

Up and Running

Here are a few things to think about before hiring a graphic designer: Think about what kind of logo you want to represent your business. Mottshaw offers these money-saving tips to get a creative logo on a budget: Hire a freelancer. Hiring a student to design a logo could be a win-win. Consider color schemes.

article thumbnail

People-First Capitalism

Reid Hoffman

And I hired a COO, Belinda Johnson , and she said, “No, if people don’t like you, you should meet with them.” When I was at RISD, I went to Rhode Island School of Design, there was this idea that was emerging called The Green Movement, the sustainability movement. Communities, we want to strengthen the communities we’re serving.