article thumbnail

The Case for Optimism and Risk at Startups

Both Sides of the Table

I was fortunate enough recently to be invited to a private sitting with the president of South Korea, Park Geun-hye, along with 18 other entrepreneurs. She is trying to build a “creative economy” in South Korea and wanted to learn from some Americans what made us so innovative and what they could learn from us.

article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #21: Tomas Pueyo on the hammer and the dance, political polarization, and how the pandemic will affect the way we live and work

Startup Lessons Learned

So you're starting to see that, and you realize one healthcare system or two healthcare systems may be able to respond to a crisis successfully, meaning maybe South Korea and China, but once you have 60 countries that have cases, the odds that at least one of them fails in the containment is huge. What did South Korea do?

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Embrace: Valerie Lopez on the importance of employee-led resource groups

Transformify

In her role, Lopez is responsible for providing vision and leadership to the diversity, inclusion, and equity program across Cision’s global organization. Having established Cision’s first formal DEI function, the program fulfills the company's core values and business goals of supporting its inclusive and diverse community.

article thumbnail

Twitter Link Roundup #93 – Small Business, Social Media, Design, Copywriting, Marketing And More

crowdSPRING Blog

These posts and videos are about logo design , web design , startups, entrepreneurship, small business, leadership, social media, marketing, and more! South Korea continues to impress with their innovative use of technology – grocery shopping on subway – [link]. Has Dropbox set the stage for a privacy revolution?

article thumbnail

30 Entrepreneurs Explain Why They Started Their Business

Hearpreneur

Thanks to Mirela Borsan, Inspirational Leadership Coaching, LLC ! #4- I grew up in Nigeria, and have seen up close the health and safety concerns posed by communities lacking clean toilets and running water. I graduated college during the 2008 financial crisis and took a career ‘gap year’ to head to South Korea and teach English.

article thumbnail

Our Town – A Family Legacy

YoungUpstarts

But then a family emergency struck – Michael Plummer Senior suffered a major heart attack, and Junior was called home from his station in South Korea. Our Town is an interesting direct marketing business which essentially introduces people who move to a new neighborhood to the businesses within that community.

article thumbnail

Startup Grind Turns the Tables on Mark Suster

Both Sides of the Table

But just give people a taste, and then what I would challenge the community here to do is, these different things that you’re not an expert on or you’re not good at, go back and read what Mark has written about it. That leadership trait is just not innate in everybody. Not in Europe or South Korea.

Cofounder 337