article thumbnail

Vote Local, Austin: 18 SXSW panels featuring Austinites that deserve your PanelPicker vote

Austin Startup

Support the ATX Startup Community by voting for this selection of panels featuring Austinites. Once submitted, the community is allowed to chime in and vote on what topics capture their interest. Once submitted, the community is allowed to chime in and vote on what topics capture their interest. We reached out to the M.io

Austin 48
article thumbnail

30 Entrepreneurs Explain Why They Started Their Business

Hearpreneur

My partners and I founded Reel Paper with the goal of adding the positive experience of social responsibility to the simple e-comm purchase of a household staple: toilet paper. I grew up in Nigeria, and have seen up close the health and safety concerns posed by communities lacking clean toilets and running water.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

10+ Trends: Recap of 2011 and What’s Next…

thebarefootvc

Women Rising: Microfinance institutions have known for years that women have higher repayment rates than men and that women are more likely to invest the borrowed capital back into their families and local communities. Nothing seems impossible anymore. Stanford University rolled out a free online Machine Learning course.

article thumbnail

Why International Startups Love NY, and NY VCs Love International Startups

David Teten

” The role model for most of the international innovation communities I meet is Israel, the “ startup nation ”. To date, out of 17 companies, HOF Capital has backed 7 founding teams with roots in underrepresented regions: Egypt, Latin America, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Turkey.

article thumbnail

10 Entertaining Things to Check out While You’re Waiting in Line Today

Up and Running

And of course, supporting the your local community and local economy really is something worth doing. I definitely suggest reading it if you and your spouse or partner aren’t open with each other about finances. Small Business Saturday is tomorrow. The super interesting news. Europe and Africa, and the consumers.