article thumbnail

How Sin-Mei Tsai, Shippo’s VP of Engineering, Defines Code Quality

Version One Ventures

Six weeks ago, we kicked off a new series where we profile an awesome operator in our network to learn about his/her work and contributions to his/her organization and community at large. This time, I am very excited to introduce Sin-Mei Tsai , VP of Engineering at Shippo , a Version One portfolio company.

article thumbnail

Ardent War Story 5: The Best Marketers Are Engineers

Steve Blank

I would discover that there was a more effective alternative in building a marketing department than hiring traditional marketers with MBA’s. Some of these advisors from the academic community would work with our of VP of Engineering and help us solve specific technical problems.

Engineer 221
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Do Job Specs Matter?

Seeing Both Sides

Today's post is brought to you by my friend, Paul Blumenfeld , a recruiter who is one of the most thoughtful people I know when it comes to hiring processes. Many hiring managers write a job spec that is heavy on wishes and low on real needs. I see two reasons for this discrepancy: Static Specs. that would get the interview.

article thumbnail

Take 5 minutes to help other Austin entrepreneurs and vote in the SXSW Panel Picker!

Austin Startup

Being part of a community means lifting each other up and one easy way you can do that is with your mouse clicks… please take 5 minutes to go and vote for these other Austin entrepreneurs! If you are in the Austin startup community and have another panel to promote, please leave it in the comments below! Don’t worry.

article thumbnail

How To Find A Programmer To Build Your Startup Idea

socialmatchbox.com

The first part is the hardest part: hunting for a programmer. If you have a friend who is a recruiter then ask them to tell you what they recommend that will not cost anything. If they hire an accountant to help prepare and file their taxes that may cost around $500. Be sure to post your opportunity here.

article thumbnail

Startup Advice: When to Use a Consulting CTO

rapidrollout.wordpress.com

He or she might call himself a “consulting CTO,&# “freelance CTO,&# “on-demand CTO,&# “CTO on call,&# “CTO for hire,&# or just a “technology strategy advisor.&# If you find him, he’s gold, and not only because of his knowledge and experience.

article thumbnail

How to Go From Google Engineer to First-Time CTO

firstround.com

Ian Langworth started his career as an O’Reilly author and software engineer at Google. Not too long ago, I was a software engineer preparing to start my very first company. I was their first full-time engineering hire and I helped build out the team and set the agenda for product development.