Remove Cap Table Remove Community Remove Metrics Remove Technical Review
article thumbnail

VCs eating our own dog food: Using technology and analytics to make better investments

David Teten

When I met my now-wife, I realized that any technology that can find me a spouse is a killer app. I’d argue that the same type of technologies that have revolutionized dating can revolutionize our industry. . I walk through below how progressive investors are using technology and analytics throughout all of their operations.

article thumbnail

In 2017, GE Will Buy More Tech Startups Than Google

Hunter Walker

When Satya and I started Homebrew in 2013 one of our bets for the coming decades was that non-traditional acquirers would become more aggressive in their pursuit of technology startups. We had our first taste of this trend playing out early in 2016 when GM acquired self-driving tech startup Cruise for north of $1b. Cruise was this.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Flexible VC, a New Model for Companies Targeting Profitability

David Teten

His work on VC and small communities can be found at greatercolorado.vc/blog. Our categorization is not a technical one. Additionally, Flexible VC can accommodate all types of companies, not just asset-lite, tech-enabled companies.”. Lower level of community familiarity. Of the Inc. 5000 companies, only 6.5%

article thumbnail

How Private Equity and Venture Capital Investors Are Eating Their Own Dogfood

David Teten

VCs tout themselves as frontier technology investors, but most are using the same infrastructure tools they have used for the past 20+ years: Excel and recent college grads searching Google. According to Knowledge.VC , under 5% of US VCs have a full-time team member focused on technology. . But we’re doing it slowly.

article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #26: Brian Armstrong of Coinbase on cryptocurrency, being mission-oriented, and institution building

Startup Lessons Learned

Brian is the CEO of Coinbase, a successful tech company, and one of 2021's most successful IPOs. The company's market cap at the time of their entry into the public markets topped $100 billion dollars. Can institutions be totally distributed or should they be rooted and loyal to a certain community or geography? BA : Yeah.

IPO 113
article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #7, Brian Chesky Part 1: running Airbnb in crisis mode, being multi-stakeholder, and re-founding the company

Startup Lessons Learned

I've known Brian Chesky, Co-Founder, CEO and Head of Community at Airbnb for a long time. People, not just metrics. Brian Chesky : I am Brian Chesky, co-founder, CEO, and head of community at Airbnb. Eric Ries : You're not like a lot of other tech folks. 6:06) Resilience and adaptability in people and companies. (8:22)

article thumbnail

On the Road to Recap:

abovethecrowd.com

While not obvious on the surface, there has been a fundamental sea-change in the investment community that has made the incremental Unicorn investment a substantially more dangerous and complicated practice. In Q1 of 2016 there were zero VC-backed technology IPOs. You can no longer simply look at the cap table and estimate your return.

IPO 40