article thumbnail

Startup Iceland Interview With The Brads (Feld and Burnham)

Feld Thoughts

Brad Burnham ( Union Square Ventures ) and I were in Iceland a few weeks ago for the Startup Iceland event. Amy and I had an awesome week in Iceland and have decided to go back again next year. Bala Kamallakharan organized the event and moderated the discussion (and was an amazing host.)

Iceland 187
article thumbnail

Urban Technology: The Business of Smart Cities

The Startup Magazine

They hope to “solve tangled and wicked problems inherited in the rapid urbanization,” according to research from the Center for Technology in Government at the State University of New York at Albany. Rapid urbanization is a crisis. Half of the world’s population lives in cities, with 10 percent living in the top 30 metropolises.

article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #21: Tomas Pueyo on the hammer and the dance, political polarization, and how the pandemic will affect the way we live and work

Startup Lessons Learned

For example, Santa Clara had a community-spread case early in March. If something like that happens, you want to close everything, because it's a community spread. I explained it to Washington State, because that was ground zero of the United States at the time until it was New York. Eric Ries : That's right.