article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #20: the founders of Bitwise on the role of technology in empowering people, spreading benefits to underserved communities, and the creation of OnwardUS

Startup Lessons Learned

Our fundamental thesis is that people of color, women, communities of concentrated poverty, have immense talent to contribute to the technology industry," Jake explained to me. "In Maybe we are talking about community servants or folks we previously thought were community servants. We can be deliberate about these things.

Fresno 60
article thumbnail

The Evolution of Entrepreneurial Education and Corporate Innovation

Steve Blank

The other change is that universities, instead of being passive, have become active in building an entrepreneurial community. I want to make my community, country or world a better place, while solving some of the toughest problems.” But this type of innovation requires leadership who understands that is their goal.

Incubator 332
article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #3, Jen Pahlka and Raylene Yung on creating the U.S. Digital Response

Startup Lessons Learned

35:20) Inspiring acts of leadership and working hard. (35:50) 35:50) Building community on text messages and threads. (38:30) I live in Oakland with my husband and now my dog. There are people in communities who are trying to deliver food to needy residents. How to channel your efforts and energy and stay informed. (