Remove 1998 Remove Community Remove Internet Remove Metrics
article thumbnail

Serial CEO Judy Estrin On Startups and Innovation

ReadWriteStart

She was the former CTO of Cisco Systems from 1998-2000, and is on the boards of Disney and Packet Design and was a board member at Sun and FedEx for many years. The point here is that you can have very different and all valid success metrics, but it is important to keep in mind what you are trying to accomplish with your startup venture.

CTO Hire 118
article thumbnail

Datablindness

Startup Lessons Learned

That’s because many of our reports feed us vanity metrics: numbers that make us look good but don’t really help make decisions. Yet even among those who have access to good actionable metrics, I’ve noticed a phenomenon that prevents taking maximum advantage of data. Too much of this data is non- actionable.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Lessons Learned: Lean hiring tips

Startup Lessons Learned

This is another sub-optimization caused by incentivizing the wrong metric. You are doing the startup community a great service by sharing your insights via your blog. This can be especially challenging for HR professionals who measure their success based on the number of jobs they fill. This post has been removed by the author.

Lean 140
article thumbnail

It’s Morning in Venture Capital

Both Sides of the Table

In 1998 there were around 850 VC funds and by 2000 there were 2,300. In an over-funding environment companies are encouraged to eschew revenues in a land grab to acquire eyeballs, clicks, page views or whatever other vanity metrics give VCs the false comfort that they’re sitting on a gold mine. The Funding Problem.

article thumbnail

The Steps of the Recruiting Process … and How to Identify Failure Points

www.ere.net

Recruiting Community.™ Common reason for failure: no metric or feedback mechanism to measure the percentage of applications that were routed to the wrong job. Common reason for failure: no metric or periodic testing to determine the accuracy of the screening process. Register by Friday, August 3 to save $200. ERE Awards.

Hiring 57
article thumbnail

Transcript And MP3 Of My $180,000 Website Flipping Presentation

Entrepreneurs-Journey.com by Yaro Starak

I had a lot of fun learning what the internet could do for me. In fact, my first website I can’t show you, because I don’t think we have internet access, but I had a Geocities website in 1999 for a card game I used to play called Magic the Gathering. I was getting more into internet marketing and trying to ramp up my income.

article thumbnail

Which Are More Legible: Serif or Sans Serif Typefaces?

alexpoole.info

Back in 1998 when Times New Roman was still widely used on the web, my then boss made sure we always designed our web sites with Arial, as she hated the look of serif fonts on the web. Lund, 1997, 1998, 1999 ). Nor have they managed to make their work sufficiently known in the typographic community ( Spencer, 1968, p.6