Remove Boston Remove Community Remove Continuous Deployment Remove Entrepreneur
article thumbnail

The cardinal sin of community management

Startup Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by Eric Ries Friday, September 11, 2009 The cardinal sin of community management Once you have a product launched, you will the face the joys – and the despair – of a community that grows up around it. This probably sounds illogical. After all, people rarely say they are mad because they are not being heard.

Community 158
article thumbnail

Building a new startup hub

Startup Lessons Learned

But theres no denying the level of support for entrepreneurs that we enjoy. Ive written a little bit about the origins of Silicon Valley because I think its important for us to understand how we got here in order to make sure we preserve what is best about our community. Traveling to Boulder I had the feeling of stepping back in time.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

The free software hiring advantage

Startup Lessons Learned

Heres the short version: hire people from the online communities that develop free software. Beyond the quality of the candidates themselves, Ive noticed three big effects of hiring out of free software communities: You can hire an expert in your own code base. Once youre part of the community, a big question is who to try and hire.

article thumbnail

Towards a new entrepreneurship

Startup Lessons Learned

I believe the only way to improve our chances as entrepreneurs is to develop a working theory of entrepreneurship. Sure, when entrepreneurs create startups that grow up into mature companies, they become part of an established industry, with its own ecosystem, norms, partners and best practices. Details soon, I promise.

article thumbnail

New conference website, speakers, agenda

Startup Lessons Learned

Case studies Serious entrepreneurs not wannabes actual nuts and bolts, Im sold ont he phiilosophy debates of contentious issues - not just yes men" "Some of the core personalities of the group, a number of startups (who have already achieved fit etc and have success) who can talk from experience." Detailed case studies of how it was done.

article thumbnail

A real Customer Advisory Board

Startup Lessons Learned

And, as you can see in my previous post on “ The cardinal sin of community management &# the feedback could be all over the map. But we had some super-active customers who would act as editors, collecting feedback from all over the community and synthesizing it into a report of the top issues. It was absolutely worth it.

article thumbnail

Lessons Learned: Please teach kids programming, Mr. President

Startup Lessons Learned

Heres what I do know: The future strength of our economy depends on its ability to create, support, and sustain entrepreneurs. (If If you are somehow not convinced of this point, Ill let Fareed Zakaria explain ) We know who the next generation of entrepreneurs are going to be. Nerds are not entrepreneurs. They are nerds.