Remove Chicago Remove Community Remove Software Engineering Remove Web
article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Why Has LA Suddenly Gotten So Much Attention from VCs and Entrepreneurs?

Both Sides of the Table

When my friend and the father of LA’s tech startup community Bill Gross first demonstrated his company GoTo.com (renamed Overture) on stage at a TED conference he was actually booed (True story. These are industries that start to open up new commercial zones like Cincinnati (home to P&G & Kroger) and Chicago.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Labor Day! Let’s Celebrate the Workers

crowdSPRING Blog

John (Shuo) Yang is our Senior Software engineer and one of the smartest people I have ever met. Adriano Marques is our wonderful Brazilian Software Engineer, recently immigrated to the US. Diogenes Herminio works for us as a Software Engineer, but does it from his home in Brazil. Thanks, guys!

Bosnia 67
article thumbnail

How to Build a Startup Team

techcocktail.com

Tech Cocktail Connecting, educating and amplifying the startup technology community and having fun doing it since 2006. Software Engineer—PHP—Energy Software for the Smart Grid @ Agentis Energy (Elmhurst, IL) Sr. Software Engineer @ General Electric (Barrington, IL) Sr.

article thumbnail

29 Entrepreneurs Explain Why They Started Their Business

Hearpreneur

Sadly, many people in our society come from communities where they were never, or rarely, touched by their parents, family members, or friends or only experience touch through sex. While I had previous experience with many various aspects of online marketing such as web design, email marketing, etc., Shaw, Dallas Web Design Inc ! #15-

article thumbnail

CEO Friday: Why we don’t hire.NET programmers

blog.expensify.com

But I’ve seen some recent comments that this post might have upset and offended the SMB community that we serve, and that I cannot abide. In fact, the open source community can learn a lot from Microsoft in terms of backward compatibility and tools for productivity. I was just looking at your web site.

Java 107