Remove Cofounder Remove Community Remove Continuous Deployment Remove Cost
article thumbnail

The cardinal sin of community management

Startup Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by Eric Ries Friday, September 11, 2009 The cardinal sin of community management Once you have a product launched, you will the face the joys – and the despair – of a community that grows up around it. This probably sounds illogical. After all, people rarely say they are mad because they are not being heard.

Community 158
article thumbnail

The free software hiring advantage

Startup Lessons Learned

Heres the short version: hire people from the online communities that develop free software. Its obvious that can lower your development costs, but I think its even more important that it can reduce your time to market. Another unexpected benefit comes when you hire people who are part of the same online coding community.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Lessons Learned: Lean hiring tips

Startup Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by Eric Ries Monday, January 19, 2009 Lean hiring tips In preparing for the strategy series panel this week, I have been doing some thinking about costs. I want to talk specifics, and when you come right down to it, most technology startups dont have a very interesting cost structure. Another terrific post, Eric.

Lean 140
article thumbnail

Towards a new entrepreneurship

Startup Lessons Learned

The cost of creating new companies is falling rapidly, and access to markets, distribution, and information is within the reach of anyone with an internet connection. Ive been blown away by the level of demand you all have expressed in having a forum for the whole community to come together and share what were learning.

article thumbnail

New conference website, speakers, agenda

Startup Lessons Learned

Weve gone from total obscurity to something people are beginning to misunderstand and even co-opt. Doesnt the communication overhead of a large team lead to chaos of overlapping experiments and continuously-deployed bugs?" "If My hope for this conference is that it will benefit the global community of entrepreneurs.

article thumbnail

Lessons Learned: Product development leverage

Startup Lessons Learned

Plus, we saw some of the intrinsic limitations of supporting such a large staff: slower cycle times, higher cost basis, and - most importantly - the ability to serve only a limited number of customer segments. Most importantly, there is almost no niche or trend that is unserved by this community. Yeah, weve got that.

article thumbnail

Lessons Learned: Why PHP won

Startup Lessons Learned

The number one reason I keep coming back to PHP is that it has overwhelming community support. Ive written elsewhere that success in creating a platform is "becoming a function not of the size and resources of the company that builds it, but of the size of the community that supports it." Lets start with some circular reasoning.

PHP 166