article thumbnail

10 College Business Incubators We’re Most Excited About

YoungUpstarts

To help foster this innovation, many colleges and universities have opened business incubators, helping students and others in their community to help make their innovative dreams a reality. Offering a “holistic entrepreneurship program,” this residential community has entrepreneurship at every step of the college experience.

Incubator 202
article thumbnail

How VCs, Accelerators, and Coworking Spaces Put Communities in Buildings vs. Buildings in Communities

This is going to be BIG.

I'll bet you don't know where the Center of NY's Tech Community and Center of Creativity is. In fact, it is "well-known internationally as the original home of New York's technology community.". There was a computer training lab run by a company called Prosoft, but that's like having an Apex Tech and expecting to be the next Detroit.

Community 145
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Detroit Soup — Serving Hope & Innovation

Gregg Fraley, Author of Jack's Notebook

Amy Kaherl is the Director/Facilitator of Detroit Soup. I found it last night on NBC Nightly News, an inspirational story about Detroit Soup. . Here’s the concept: Detroit Soup is a monthly dinner to fund creative and entrepreneurial projects. It educates the community about possibilities, and about what might be done.

Detroit 87
article thumbnail

SXSW Startups: My SideKick

Austin Startup

Our goal when creating MySideKick was to account for every single kind of user in a campus community?—?from For about a year and a half, I worked in downtown Detroit and it was a 10-minute walk to and from my office. MySideKick is geared for universities?—?how how does your program work? The startup journey is a lot like dating.

Startup 55
article thumbnail

One Hand Clapping – Entrepreneurship In Ann Arbor, Michigan

Steve Blank

Incubators : toured the TechArb , the engineering student accelerator, and the Michigan Venture Center in the University’s Tech Transfer Office. The TechArb is the engineering student accelerator/incubator (cofounded by the local VC ) and also embraces these ideas. A Lack of a Startup Culture in the Community. Not My Problem.

Michigan 313
article thumbnail

Rustic Canyon Speaks out on GaiKai Exit, Changing Nature of VC, LA Tech & More

Both Sides of the Table

He penned a great piece on the LA tech community here in Forbes. 16:15 Thank you to Detroit Venture Partners for their support of the show. 23:00 Question from the audience: Do VCs have a preference for startups that choose to work with incubators? Not bad, hey? And they had another recent $100+ million exit of Savings.com.