article thumbnail

The Screwy Logic of Crowdfunding and Venture Fund Regulation

This is going to be BIG.

If venture funds could be supported by the local communities they invest in, you'd create a fantastic dynamic. For new fund creation, you essentially have to already be tied into existing networks of capital. At least it would be diversified across 25-30 companies--there's no such requirement in crowdfunding. I certainly would!

Latvia 125
article thumbnail

13 Sites You Love Built With Ruby On Rails

YoungUpstarts

Probably, the best-known photography community ever. Latvia-based, this service has all chances to overcome Formspring’s popularity. This is a social network for asking and answering sent question – both from anonymous and identified users. Your best helper is CouchSurfing – a social networking and hospitality exchange website.

Ruby 124
article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #21: Tomas Pueyo on the hammer and the dance, political polarization, and how the pandemic will affect the way we live and work

Startup Lessons Learned

For example, Santa Clara had a community-spread case early in March. If something like that happens, you want to close everything, because it's a community spread. So it's the first time in my life that I pushed this to all my networks as hard as I could, and I was also very aggressive on the viral mechanics that I plugged into it.