article thumbnail

Miami: A hot spot for venture capitalists

David Teten

I was visiting as part of Terrapinn Private Equity World, a leading private equity conference for the Latin American technology community. You might assume the event took place in Sao Paolo or Mexico City, but no, it was in Miami, and will be again in 2014. Immigrants in general are disproportionately entrepreneurial.

Miami 114
article thumbnail

Announcing our investment in Dinari, a decentralized stock trading platform

Version One Ventures

The tokenization of real-world assets (RWA) is one of the most interesting use cases for the blockchain, gaining momentum inside both crypto and traditional finance communities. This is significant as a large number of people in countries like Mexico and Thailand own a blockchain wallet, but no brokerage account.

Stock 78
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Who are the Major Revenue-Based Investing VCs?

David Teten

This structure offers some of the benefits of traditional equity VC, without some of the negatives of equity VC. I’ve been a traditional equity VC for 8 years, and I’m now researching new business models in venture capital. We don’t have any equity or control over the business….”. Key elements: . “We

Revenue 60
article thumbnail

The Investors Guide to SXSW 2019

Austin Startup

Grab a group of friends and tour the latest and greatest of Austin’s startup community. To discuss this seismic shift, Rodolfo Gonzalez, partner at Foundation Capital and one of the only major Silicon Valley investors from Mexico, will be joined by the CEOs of Rappi, Bitso, and Runa HR?—?three The SXSW Startup Crawl!

article thumbnail

5/25-NYC – Investing in Intellectual Capital: Patents, Trademarks, Domain Names, Litigation, Government Rights, and other Intangible Assets

David Teten

Geleerd began his career at Arthur Andersen in tax consulting before leaving to join Sam Zell’s Equity Group where he underwrote the acquisition of over $2 billion of real estate acquired by the Zell-Merrill Lynch Opportunity Funds (which ultimately went public as Equity Office Properties, LLC).

Naming 122
article thumbnail

MassChallenge Joins the Texas Ecosystem

Austin Startup

No equity and not-for-profit, this group helps entrepreneurs across any industry. MassChallenge also rewards the highest-impact startups through a competition to win a portion of several million dollars in equity-free cash awards. MassChallenge calls themselves the most startup-friendly accelerator on the planet.

Texas 69
article thumbnail

Startup Lessons for the Proto-Founder

www.metamorphblog.com

Here’s how the pitch sounds from the engineer’s perspective: ‘For ten whole percent of equity, you will slave away to build a prototype out of my shitty idea, not have any say in the decision-making process…and oh yeah, you could be fired at any point.’ Date for a bit, then split the equity.

Founder 51