article thumbnail

2022 Predictions

Eric Friedman

There is also a network effect of portfolio companies with early GPs. The calculus is that if the stock is going to be worth a fortune, they are better off paying for expertise early vs. take a risk on early full time employees risking option pool, culture fit, and ramp time. Bonus: Maybe I do this. 9/ Hubs vs. FTEs.

article thumbnail

2021 Predictions

Eric Friedman

10/ Community is a moat. Yes, but it turns out physical spaces lost out this year and virtual spaces and communities won the day (year?). There is also a network effect of portfolio companies with early GPs. No, but close. 9/ MR (mixed reality) finds a killer use case. In fact, my prediction on Magic Leap was dead wrong.

Stock 120
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Startups: Cut the Wheat from the Chaff on Quora

VC Cafe

Short answer: Start building your community from day one, and put a real emphasis on building it offline. Attend networking events, trade shows, participate on blogs, @ people on Twitter and hit people up on LinkedIN offering to shout them coffee’s in return for their time. . How do bootstrapped companies hire talent?

article thumbnail

VCs eating our own dog food: Using technology and analytics to make better investments

David Teten

But, most of use raise capital and source deals the same way people looked for dates 20 years ago: by networking at conferences (or bars). . To learn more about this space, I suggest join an online community I co-founded, PEVCTech. . – angel investor networks ( AngelList , FundersClub , OurCrowd , Republic *, SeedInvest ). .

article thumbnail

ProfessorVC: Touched by an Angel

Professor VC

I think the title of this post is a TV show, but fitting as there has been much debate in the venture community as to the whether angel investors are good or bad for entrepreneurs and VCs. At a $1 million, pre-money, with an investment of $500K, that would leave 67% of the company for the founders and initial option pool.

article thumbnail

How to Raise a Seed Round: Three Basic Tips for Founders

Scott Edward Walker

Marc Andreessen discussed this issue at the 2016 Startup School : The argument in favor of the warm referral is that it’s the first test – it’s the first test of the ability to basically network your way to the investor. Tip #2: Hustle and Build Your Network. at 7:33). They want to be introduced to you.”. In a word: hustle.